Connectionists: Stephen Hanson in conversation with Geoff Hinton

Gary Marcus gary.marcus at nyu.edu
Thu Feb 3 12:06:19 EST 2022

Dear Steve,

Thanks for your gracious note, but  the passage I objected to was not one line but several, (eg “I wish people would stop taking [Marcus] so seriously”),  and, critically, Hinton’s fabrication regarding machine translation was not an innocent mistake. People misrepresent me all the time, but in this case I had already specifically advised Hinton in private that what he said was misrepresenting me on this exact point.

Moreover, the bullying campaign goes back several years. For example, moments before I gave a 2019 talk to an audience of computer scientists in Toronto, Hinton replied-all to the invite, in an effort to persuade the audience not to go. As it happens, his email didn’t get through to the list but I was cc’d (possibly inadvertently) and did receive it; the bullying intent was quite apparent.

If AIHub believed in its charter, and wished to elevate the discourse, it would take down the entire passage and not support a persistent campaign to misrepresent and stifle a critical voice.  By all means, if Hinton wants to write a reasoned critique of my work, publish it. But as one eminent computer scientist wrote to me yesterday, “cronyism, collusion and now bullying and dehumanizing critics … should not be rewarded by this community.”

Thank you for allowing me to clarify.  And yes, I will read the rest of the interview with interest, and of course I’d love to get your thoughts about how the ‘hybrid movie” might end, but I’ll put that in a separate thread :)

Cheers.
Gary