Connectionists: Scientific Integrity, the 2021 Turing Lecture, etc.

Stephen José Hanson jose at rubic.rutgers.edu
Tue Feb 1 17:57:36 EST 2022

On 2/1/22 3:19 PM, Asim Roy wrote:

> I had some communication with Marvin Minsky and Jerry Fodor years ago.
> Here are two quotes from them:
>

> 2. Jerry Fodor: “Arguing with Connectionists is like arguing with
> zombies; both are dead, but  neither has noticed it.”

I used to argue with Jerry at our Pizza lunchs, and miss him as he had
great counter arguments  to almost anything....  but he would have hated
the DL results with language...  GPT-xs --would have liked to know what
his counters would have been..

but no, he didn't think all connectionists were zombies..

Sorry Asim.

Steve