Connectionists: PhD Position on Reinforcement Learning at the University of Neuchatel

Christos Dimitrakakis christos.dimitrakakis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 04:00:54 EDT 2021

We are looking for a PhD student to join our group on reinforcement
learning and decision making under uncertainty more generally, at the
University of Neuchatel, Switzerland ( https://www.unine.ch/ ).  We
are particularly interested in candidates with a strong mathematical
background. Prior research experience as documented by your Masters
thesis is required. Within the area, we are looking for candidates
with a strong research interest in the following fields

- Reinforcement learning and decision making under uncertainty:
1. Exploration in reinforcement learning.
2. Decision making nuder partial information.
3. Representations of uncertainty in decision making.
4. Theory of reinforcement learning (e.g. PAC/regret bounds)
5. Bayesian inference and approximate Bayesian methods.

Examples of our group's past and current research can be found on
arxiv:
https://arxiv.org/search/?searchtype=author&query=Dimitrakakis%2C+C.
The student will have the opportunity to visit and work with
other group members at the University of Oslo, Norway (
https://www.mn.uio.no/ifi/english/people/aca/chridim/index.html )
and Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden (
http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~chrdimi/ ).

The PhD candidate must have a strong technical background, including:

1. Thorough knowledge of calculus and linear algebra.
2. A good theoretical background in probability and statistics/machine
learning.
3. Practical experience with at least one programming language.

The candidate's background will be mainly assessed through their MSc
thesis and transcripts, and secondarily through an interview.

* Starting date: 1 Februrary 2022. *
* Application deadline: 30 November 2021*

* Application procedure *
For further information or to apply, please contact me directly
at christos.dimitrakakis at gmail.com with the subject 'PhD
Neuchatel Reinforcement Learning'. An application must include:

1. A statement of research interests and motivation relevant to the
position.
2. A CV with a list of references.
3. Your MSc thesis or another research work demonstrating your academic
writing.
4. A degree transcript.

Feel free to include any other additional information.

--
Christos Dimitrakakis
https://sites.google.com/site/christosdimitrakakis/