Connectionists: Connectionists Digest, Vol 764, Issue 1

Juyang Weng juyang.weng at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 12:05:06 EST 2021

Dear Suganthan,
thank you for your message about what you did in your neural network
experiments.
If I were you, I would not simply trust what advisees said to me, but I
trust my understanding of the current severe lack of generalization power
in shallow data fitting by CNNs and LSTMs (including adversarial learning),
etc.

As I stated in my Post-Selection paper in IJCNN 2021, we must demand
transparency in the Post-Selection stage, such as reporting the
distribution of performances of all networks that have been trained.
Without presentation of such a distribution, we should not simply trust a
terse statement like the one from your advisees.  Our own experiments have
shown a huge variation in such a distribution!

Why? Error-backprop in neural networks is like "Chairman Mao Zedong did
error-backprop in China".  Chairman Mao may present only one lucky case,
like a nuclear bomb, to brag about the Chinese planned economy.  For those
who like to get more an intuitive explanation, watch this YouTube video:
https://youtu.be/VpsufMtia14

The neural network community needs a fundamental cultural change: citation
integrity and transparency of all networks trained.

Best regards,
-John

--
Juyang (John) Weng