Connectionists: Scientific Integrity, the 2021 Turing Lecture, etc.

Tsvi Achler achler at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 07:29:33 EST 2021

Thank you Richard and Danko for helping answer Adam's questions/comments.

Adam's questions make sense when given the outward narrative of academic
departments, grant agencies and even companies.  These narratives are meant
to bring more funds to the institutions promulgating them, but ultimately
misinform the public and naïve students. The reality is much different.
Think of statements coming from academia being as reliable as statements
coming from politicians who are trying to get themselves promoted and
elected.

To address the statement "I think you will find that the community is
incredibly open"  from an academic - computational neuroscience perspective I
have found it is absolutely the opposite.  Each field is siloed
and unnecessarily competitive.

Notice for example  when I talked about my approach I got 3 responses
suggesting I am mistaken and what I am doing is X and I should read Y.
Each X and Y varied greatly (there is no way all of them could be true at
once and most likely the commenters have not even looked at the mechanism)
yet any such review coming back from an article or grant application would
reject the article or grant.

I have written countless grant and articles where I purposefully write
several times in the abstract, and within the article that: the process of
feedback in regulatory feedback occurs during recognition, not to adjust
weights but to determine neuron activations.  The review comes back with:
clearly the author does not understand how learning in feedforward works,
they are wrong and  feedback occurs during learning to adjust weights.

One such review will reject the work and in a group of 3 to 4
reviewers there is very little chance that all of the reviewers that did
not completely understand the novel mechanism not will say "wrong this is X
read Y " instead of all saying hey this is a mechanism I am unfamiliar with,
but seems interesting so publish it/award funding anyways.  This is why
novel research cannot be published or supported by academia.  This is in
huge contrast to grant agencies and departments who make decisions by
committees going beyond themselves to explain how they are looking for
novel and multidisciplinary research. In fact I talked to an NSF director
who said that they are conservative because of committee decisions.  When I
asked him then why do you project the opposite message about novelty, he
replied "this is operational". Thus nonchalantly acknowledging that
projecting deceiving messages is part of their core.

Now the business world is more open minded and honest (your "google"
statements are actually referring to the business world).  They do not care
what type of mechanism as long as it "works".  But what they do care about
is solving a business case; that is solving a business problem and
demonstrating that it makes or saves money. Often the value of solution is
nothing about the technology but knowing how to address a certain business
problem.  One thing that they expressly do not want to invest in is a
"science project". Thus as a person who focused on brain science
neuroscience, cognitive psychology, etc. is not particularly prepared to
address business problems.  Although not ideal for a scientist, I find it
is at least a more open minded, honest and forthcoming system and indeed I
am working on the business problem these days.

Adam, I hope that answers some of your (and others') questions.  I have
also created a video channel to help those from the outside understand how
the problems of academia occur and possibly how they may be solved.  See
the "Updating Research" channel and playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM3bZImI0fj3rM3ZrzSYbfozkf8m4102j

Sincerely,
-Tsvi