Connectionists: [jobs] Opening for an Assistant Professor in Medical Robotics at the University of Twente (women only)

Massimo Sartori massimo.srt at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 05:50:28 EDT 2021

Would you like to make an impact with your research and inspire students?
Work at a true campus university with a pleasant atmosphere? And
immediately appoint your own PhD candidate? Then you will find this role an
excellent fit.

The Department of Biomechanical Engineering at the University of Twente
invites female candidates for an assistant professor position to
complement, extend and strengthen the department's competence in medical
robots.

About the Job

As an assistant professor you will work in the Biomechanical Engineering
(BE) department of the Faculty of Engineering Technology. The Department of
Biomechanical Engineering consists of over 80 members and is engaged in a
broad range of biomedical research topics. We focus on the design and
control of medical robotic systems for a variety of clinically-relevant
applications. Our department has a strong focus on prostheses, wearable
exoskeletons, artificial organs, surgical robots, and rehabilitation
robots. For example, the research in our department ranges from design and
image-guided control of macro-micro-scale surgical robots, to developing
neuromusculoskeletal models for control of both bionic limbs, to design and
real-time control of soft wearable exo-suits. Moreover, we also evaluate
our medical robots in pre-clinical trials. In collaboration with industrial
leaders we also conduct research with existing commercial medical robots to
further improve the technology.

We are part of the TechMed Centre <https://www.utwente.nl/en/techmed/>, and
have an extensive network of clinical institutions with whom we
collaborate. We are also part of the MESA+ NanoLab
<https://www.utwente.nl/en/mesaplus/infrastructure/nanolab/>, and have
access to world-class cleanroom facilities. To learn more about the
research within the Department of Biomechanical Engineering check our
website: https://www.utwente.nl/en/et/be/

We are looking for a promising female Assistant Professor who will be
working on topics within the broad area of medical robots. The position is
funded by a national program that strives for more female professors in
engineering. We are looking for somebody who connects and strengthens our
research and educational program on medical robotics, but who will be
complementary to our department’s expertise.

The candidate is expected to participate in the teaching of courses offered
by the department at Bachelor and at Master level to the educational
programs technical medicine, industrial design, mechanical engineering,
biomedical technology and the new cross-faculty master program Robotics.
You will supervise students in their graduation assignments, and you will
contribute towards the supervision of the PhD candidate(s).

In this role you will have the opportunity to directly appoint your own
PhD. And in time, there are opportunities to grow into the role of
Associate Professor. All your work takes place on the beautiful, green
campus in Twente. Want to know more about the UT?

Take a look here: green campus University of Twente
<https://www.utwente.nl/en/organisation/careers/career/why-university-of-twente/#green-campus>
YOUR PROFILE

   - PhD degree and expertise in a field relevant for the position.
   - Passion for teaching and you hold a University Teaching Qualification
   for Dutch Universities, a similar qualification, or are willing to obtain
   this.
   - Ability to supervise, train, and support junior researchers.
   - Ability to define and pursue an own research direction, evidenced by
   the track record and recommendations.
   - Ability to design and deliver clear and engaging education.
   - Ability to collaborate in research, educational and organizational
   projects.
   - Good communication skills and an excellent command of English.
   - If applicable, commitment to learn Dutch to interact with students in
   Dutch.
   - Interpersonal and organizational skills.
   - Preferable experience in writing research proposals and obtaining
   external funding.

OUR OFFER

We offer a full-time position for 1 year, with the prospect of a permanent
position after a positive evaluation:

   - A full-time position with 30% tax ruling option and a pension scheme.
   - A gross salary between € 3.807,- and € 5.922,- per month, depending on
   experience and qualifications;
   - Additional benefits include a holiday allowance of 8 % of the gross
   annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3 %, with a generous annual leave
   plan.
   - Professional and personal development programs.
   - Well-equipped labs with professional lab technicians, like the
   Neuromechanics, Surgical Robotics and Wearable Robotics labs.
   - A start-up package that includes funding for the recruitment of 1 PhD
   that can help in kickstarting your research
   - Possibilities to collaborate with nearby cilnical institutions.
   - Proximity to Enschede, a mid-size city with a large social offer,
   immersed in the nature of the Twente region.
   - If you do not speak Dutch, we offer courses to learn the Dutch
   language.
   - A family-friendly institution that offers parental leave (both paid
   and unpaid) and career support for partners.

INFORMATION AND APPLICATION

*Please note that this vacancy is only open to female scientists. This is
part of the University of Twente’s strategy to increase the proportion of
women among its faculty and to create a working environment that is diverse
and inclusive and supportive of excellence in research and teaching.

For questions about this position, you can contact Prof. Herman van der
Kooij (h.vanderkooij at utwente.nl).

You can submit your application (only via the web platform using the link
below) before 30 November 2021:

   -
   https://www.utwente.nl/en/organisation/careers/!/245/assistant-professor-in-medical-robotics-female-only
   <https://www.utwente.nl/en/organisation/careers/!/245/assistant-professor-in-medical-robotics-female-only>

Applications must include the following documents:

   - A video (2-minute max) describing your scientific interests, why you
   applied for this position, and how you connect and could strengthen our
   research and development in medical robotics.
   - A cover letter (2-page max) specifying how your experience and skills
   match the position as well as summarizing work. This letter should also
   include a research and teaching statement, reflecting your ambition and
   vision.
   - A CV including English, proficiency level, nationality, visa
   requirements, date of birth, experience overview, and publication list.
   - Contact information for at least two academic references. A support
   letter will be requested only if your application is considered.

ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION

The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) engages in education and
research Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design
Engineering with a view to enabling society and industry to innovate and
create value using sound, efficient and sustainable technology. We are part
of a ‘people-first' university of technology, taking our place as an
internationally leading centre for smart production, processes and devices
in five domains: Health Technology, Maintenance, Smart Regions, Smart
Industry and Sustainable Resources. Our faculty is home to some 1,800
Bachelor's and Master's students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates and
offers three degree programmes: Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering
and Industrial Design Engineering. Our educational and research programme
are closely connected with UT research institutes Mesa+ Institute, TechMed
Centra and Digital Society Institute.

University of Twente (UT)

University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new
vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of
technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch
philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do
is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the
sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to
the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our
open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates
everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and
faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social
sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving
healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing
systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital
society; and Engineering for a resilient world.

As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you
as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our
society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is
changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and
entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices,
for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.

---

Massimo Sartori

Professor and Chair, Neuromechanical Engineering

Director,  Neuromechanical Modelling and Engineering Lab

University of Twente & TechMed Center

Faculty of Engineering Technology

Department of Biomechanical Engineering

Building: Horsting; ­ Room: W106 ;­ P.O. Box 217

7500 AE Enschede, The Netherlands

Personal: https://people.utwente.nl/m.sartori

Lab: https://bit.ly/NMLab

YouTube: https://bit.ly/NMLTube