Connectionists: Postdoctoral Position in Computational Neuroscience at the Institute for Neural Computation

Vinita Samarasinghe malini.vinita.samarasinghe at ini.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Feb 5 05:48:46 EST 2021

*Pending funding approval*, Prof. Sen Cheng, Institute for Neural
Computation at the Ruhr University Bochum, invites applications for a
full time (currently 39.83 hours/week)

*Postdoctoral position (TV-L E13) in Computational Neuroscience
<https://www.ini.rub.de/the_institute/jobs/postdoctoral_position_in_computational_neuroscience/>.
*

The position starts 01.07.2021 and is funded for three years.

*Job description*

The position is part of the Collaborative Research Center “Extinction
Learning” (SFB 1280) and expected to study the principles underlying
spatial learning and its extinction with reinforcement learning models.
A particular focus is the role of episodic-like memory in learning and
extinction processes.

The research group is highly dynamic and uses diverse
computationalmodeling approachesincludingbiological neural networks,
cognitive modeling, and machine learning to investigatelearning and
memory in humans and animals. For further information see www.rub.de/cns
<http://www.rub.de/cns>.

*Your Profile: *

Candidates must have

  *

    a doctorate degreein neuroscience, physics, mathematics,
    electrical/biomedical engineering or a closely related field,

  *

    relevant experience in mathematical modeling,

  *

    excellent programming skills (e.g., Python, C/C++, Matlab),

  *

    excellent communication skills in English

  *

    the ability to work well in a team.

Research experience in neuroscience would be a further asset.

The Ruhr University Bochum is home to a vibrant research community in
neuroscienceand cognitive science. The Institute for Neural Computation
is an independent research unit and combines different areas of
expertise ranging from experimental and theoretical neuroscienceto
machine learning androbotics.

Please send your application, including CV, transcripts and research
statement electronically, as a single PDF file, to
samarasinghe at ini.rub.de <mailto:samarasinghe at ini.rub.de>. In addition,
at least two academic references mustbe sent independently to the above
email address. The deadline for applications is April11^th , 2021.
Travel costs for interviews will not be reimbursed.

The Ruhr University Bochum is committed to equal opportunity. We
strongly encourage applications from qualified women and persons with
disabilities.

We are committed to providing a supportive work environment for female
researchers, in particular those with young children. Our university
provides mentoring and coaching opportunities specifically aimed at
women in research. We have a strong research network with female role
models and will provide opportunities to networkwith them. Wherever
possible, events will be scheduled during regular childcare hours.
Special childcare will be arranged if events have to be scheduled
outside of regular hours, in case of sickness and during school or
daycare closures. Where childcare is not an option parents will be
offered a home office solution.

--
Vinita Samarasinghe M.Sc., M.A.

Science Manager
Arbeitsgruppe Computational Neuroscience
Institut für Neuroinformatik
Ruhr-Universität Bochum, NB 3/26
Postfachnummer 110
Universitätstr. 150