Connectionists: Announcement: ECML PKDD 2021 Discovery Challenge "Discover the mysteries of the Maya" - AI4EO: Cultural heritage protection

Nikola Simidjievski ns779 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 19 05:51:20 EDT 2021

Dear colleagues,

we are delighted to announce that we launched the machine learning
competition “Discover the mysteries of the Maya” and we invite you to
participate in it. The goal of the challenge is to explore the potential of
the Sentinel satellite data (Sentinel 1 and 2), in combination with the
available lidar data, for integrated image segmentation in order to locate
and identify “lost” ancient Maya settlements (aguadas, buildings and
platforms), hidden under the thick forest canopy. The effort is aimed
towards the use of AI and EO towards the protection of the cultural
heritage.

The competition is organized as ECML PKDD 2021 Discovery Challenge
“Discover the mysteries of the Maya” (
https://2021.ecmlpkdd.org/?page_id=1647). The winners of the competition,
beside being invited to present their solutions at this year's ECML PKDD
2021 Discovery Challenge Track, will also receive money prizes. The
competition deadline is July 1st, 2021.

More details are available at
https://biasvariancelabs.github.io/maya_challenge/

The competition is organized by:
Bias Variance Labs, Slovenia
ZRC SAZU, Slovenia
Jozef Stefan Institute, Slovenia
Phi-Lab, ESRIN, European Space Agency, Italy

Best regards,
Nikola Simidjievski, also on behalf of the other co-organizers

--
*Dr. Nikola Simidjievski*
*Department of Computer Science and Technology*