Connectionists: RSS Workshop on Interpretable Machine Learning and Causal Inference, 15th Dec 2020

richard at autap.se richard at autap.se
Thu Nov 12 09:07:37 EST 2020

The Royal Statistical Society's Computational Statistics and Machine
Learning Section are delighted to invite you to a half-day online
workshop on Interpretable Machine Learning and Causal Inference, to be
held on Tuesday 15th December 2020. Details and sign-up are at:

https://rss.org.uk/training-events/events/events-2020/sections/interpretable-machine-learning-causal-inferenc-(1)/

OVERVIEW:
Interpretable machine learning and causal inference are both hot
topics, related in the kinds of problems they can be applied to. Each
aims to address deficiencies in conventional machine learning and
statistical approaches to model building. We believe researchers and
practitioners working in each community have much to learn from each
other, but that without first establishing common ground and defining
clear boundaries, communication and collaboration will be difficult.
In this workshop, we will hear from four experts about their own
research investigating methods and applications in these two areas,
which we hope will highlight both the commonalities and differences
between them. We also anticipate a lively discussion after the
presentations.

SCHEDULE (ALL TIMES GMT):
13:00 - 13:15 Introduction & welcome
13:15 - 13:55 Peter Tennant (University of Leeds & Alan Turing
Institute) - "Table 2 Fallacy: Or why interpretation needs more than
transparency"
13:55 - 14:00 - Break -
14:00 - 14:40 Noemi Kreif (University of York) - "Using causal machine
learning to explore heterogeneous responses to policies"
14:40 - 15:05 - Break -
15:05 - 15:45 Alessandra Russo (Imperial College) - "Symbolic machine
learning for interpretable AI: recent advancements and future
directions"
15:45 - 15:50 - Break -
15:50 - 16:30 Vera Liao (IBM Research) - "Questioning the AI: towards
human-centered interpretable machine learning"
16:30 - 17:00 Further questions/general discussion/wrap up

Details/sign-up:
https://rss.org.uk/training-events/events/events-2020/sections/interpretable-machine-learning-causal-inferenc-(1)/

Many thanks,

Richard Tomsett