Connectionists: PhD position in Low Level Mechanisms of Language Evolution

Phil Garner Phil.Garner at idiap.ch
Wed Jun 24 05:46:51 EDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,

There is a fully funded PhD position open at Idiap Research Institute on Low
Level Mechanisms of Language Evolution.

Recently, Idiap has had some success in incorporating physiological processes
into backpropagation-style neural architectures. This allows the processes to
be trained in the context of the larger network whilst giving the network the
capability to recognise and reproduce physiological functions in a natural manner.

In this project, we will apply this technique to the human cochlea and its
interface with low level neural mechanisms. We are particularly interested in
the efferent pathway from the low level neurological system back to the
cochlea. This will allow us to investigate the resulting non-linear feedback
relationship.

For more information, and to apply, please follow this link:
  http://www.idiap.ch/education-and-jobs/job-10284

Idiap is located in Martigny in French speaking Switzerland, but functions in
English and hosts many nationalities.  PhD students are registered at EPFL. All
positions offer quite generous salaries. Martigny has a distillery and a
micro-brewery and is close to all manner of skiing, hiking and mountain life.

There are other open positions on Idiap's main page
  https://www.idiap.ch/en/join-us/job-opportunities

Sincerely,
--
Phil Garner