Connectionists: ICML 2020 Call for Virtual Rooms & Socials and Mentoring sessions

Hal Daume hal3 at umd.edu
Thu Jul 2 11:42:10 EDT 2020

The International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML2020) is soliciting
proposals for Virtual Rooms & Socials and Mentoring sessions!

Over the last few years ML&AI conferences have expanded their programs to
including daily events which serve a variety of useful roles including:

> breaking down barriers: allowing junior researchers and new people a
> chance to meet others and grow their social and professional network
> advice and mentoring: gain scientific and career advice from senior
> researchers
> mini-events and topic meetings: exchange ideas on topics (societal,
> scientific, and academic) not well represented in the main program
> skills exchange and training: e.g., learning about presentations,
> experiments, ...
> scientific debate and breakout discussions: on all issues related to AI
> and ML
> a relaxed forum to socialize and unwind with a like-minded people after a
> long day of conferencing

Now more than ever we have to make an effort as a community to stay
connected. The Socials occurring at ML conferences over the last couple
years have been a major breakthrough in achieving some of the goals listed
above. The Mentoring sessions at the first virtual ICLR was a huge success.
This year, we won’t have a physical ICML. You won’t bump into people at
posters, talks, and food stands. It’s entirely possible one could attend
all of ICML and not engage in a single face-to-face conversation with
another attendee. You can help. Organize a social---it’s easy! Volunteer
your time for a mentoring session--- it’s even easier!

Socials: If you have an idea let us know. The process is simple, you need a
> title, two organizers, and a short description of your event - form for
> socials
> <https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=DQSIkWdsW0yxEjajBLZtrQAAAAAAAAAAAAMAAC81V0tUQjcwOVZWNjVITjU0TUVCQlpUU0tFVFlSNS4u>
> .
> Mentoring sessions: If you are willing to volunteer your time for a
> mentoring session let us know. The process is very simple - please let us
> know your name, affiliation and time you’re available - form for
> mentoring sessions
> <https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=DQSIkWdsW0yxEjajBLZtrQAAAAAAAAAAAAMAAC81V0tUMFhDMVIyWkpTR1U4SFRCNE5NNVRaOEM5Mi4u>
> .

We will keep this call open until Sunday July 5th. Additional details can
be found in the https://icml.cc/Conferences/2020/CallForSocials.

We look forward to socializing with you at ICML2020!

Adam White and Olga Isupova

ICML Social Chairs