Connectionists: Ranking: The Unwritten Rules of The Social Game We All Play

Érdi Péter erdi.peter at wigner.mta.hu
Thu Oct 3 08:26:13 EDT 2019

This mail is to announce a new "general interest" book:

Ranking: The Unwritten Rules of The Social Game We All Play
(Oxford University Press)
Author: Péter Érdi (Henry Luce Professor of Complex Systems Studies,
Kalamazoo College and Wigner Research Centre for Physics, Budapest)

We like to see who is stronger, richer, better, more clever. Since we
humans (1) love lists; (2), are  competitive and (3),  are  jealous of
other people, we like ranking. Students ranked in ascending order based on
their heights in a gym reflects objectivity. However, many Top Ten (twenty
one, thirty three etc) lists based on subjective  categorization and give
the illusion of objectivity only. We don't want to be seen always
objective, since we don't mind to have a better image and rank as we
deserved. The book applies scientific theories to everyday experience by
raising and answering such questions as: Are college ranking lists
objective? How do we rank and rate countries based on their fragility,
level of corruption, or even happiness? How do we find the most relevant
web pages? How employees are ranked ?

The book is offered to people whose neighbor has a fancier car; employees,
who are being ranked by their supervisors; managers, who are involved in
ranking but may have qualms about the process; businessmen interested in
creating better visibility for their companies; scientists, writers,
artists, and other competitors who would like to see themselves at the top
of a success list; college students who are just preparing to enter the
new phase of social competition. The Reader will enjoy the intellectual
adventure to understand our difficulties to navigate between  objective
and subjective and gets help to identify and modify her place in real and
virtual communities by combining human and computational intelligence.

Google Preview:
https://global.oup.com/academic/product/ranking-9780190935467?cc=us&lang=en&#

OUP website of the book:
https://global.oup.com/academic/product/ranking-9780190935467?cc=us&lang=en&#