Connectionists: Research positions in neuroscience

Harris, Kenneth kenneth.harris at ucl.ac.uk
Mon May 20 09:59:55 EDT 2019

Our neuroscience research team at University College London is generating petabyte-scale datasets, such as simultaneous recordings of tens of thousands of neurons, that provide an unprecedented opportunity to learn how the brain works. We are looking for a data scientist to develop tools to harness this information.

This position would suit graduates in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, or a related field. Strong programming skills are essential (we mostly use Python and MATLAB), as well as experience with version control systems. Knowledge of machine learning, digital image/signal processing, or relational databases is a plus.

No prior knowledge of biology or neuroscience is required, as the skills most essential for this position are data processing. This position would be an ideal opportunity for an individual interested in brain research to learn about this fascinating subject.

To apply, go to https://www.ucl.ac.uk/human-resources/working-ucl/jobs-ucl, click "Search for a job" and enter reference number 1805922; alternatively follow this link<https://atsv7.wcn.co.uk/search_engine/jobs.cgi?SID=amNvZGU9MTgwNTkyMiZ2dF90ZW1wbGF0ZT05NjUmb3duZXI9NTA0MTE3OCZvd25lcnR5cGU9ZmFpciZicmFuZF9pZD0wJmpvYl9yZWZfY29kZT0xODA1OTIyJnBvc3RpbmdfY29kZT0yMjQ=>.

Note: this position requires an Honors degree but does not require a PhD, although UCL's HR website currently incorrectly lists a PhD requirement. We will shortly be advertising a postdoctoral vacancy also.

The deadline for applications in 13 June 2019.

Kenneth D. Harris
Professor of Quantitative Neuroscience
Institute of Neurology, Department of Neuroscience, Physiology, and Pharmacology
University College London
Cruciform Building, Gower Street
London WC1E 9BT
Phone: +44 (0) 20 7679 0709