Connectionists: [CFP Deadline Extension] Combined Workshop on Spatial Language Understanding (SpLU) & Grounded Communication for Robotics (RoboNLP) @NAACL-HLT 2019

Kordjamshidi, Parisa pkordjam at tulane.edu
Wed Mar 6 23:41:33 EST 2019

THIRD CALL FOR PAPERS
——————————————————————
DEADLINE EXTENSION  To March 11, 2019 11:59pm UTC-12.
Combined Workshop on Spatial Language Understanding (SpLU) & Grounded Communication for Robotics (RoboNLP) at NAACL-HLT 2019, June 6, Minneapolis, USA.
Website: https://splu-robonlp.github.io<https://splu-robonlp.github.io/>
AIM AND SCOPE
SpLU-RoboNLP 2019 is a combined workshop on spatial language understanding (SpLU) and grounded communication for robotics (RoboNLP) that focuses on spatial language, both linguistic and theoretical aspects, and its application to various areas including and especially focusing on robotics. The combined workshop aims to bring together members of NLP, robotics, vision, and related communities in order to initiate discussions across fields dealing with spatial language along with other modalities. The desired outcome is identification of both shared and unique challenges, problems and future directions across the fields and various application domains.
While language can encode highly complex, relational structures of objects, spatial relations between them, and patterns of motion through space, the community has only scratched the surface on how to encode and reason about spatial semantics. Despite this, spatial language is crucial to robotics, navigation, NLU, translation and more. Standardizing tasks is challenging as we lack formal domain independent meaning representations. Spatial semantics requires an interplay between language, perception and (often) interaction.
Following the exciting recent progress in visual language grounding, the embodied, task-oriented aspect of language grounding is an important and timely research direction. To realize the long-term goal of robots that we can converse with in our homes, offices, hospitals, and warehouses, it is essential that we develop new techniques for linking language to action in the real world, where spatial language understanding is essential. Can we give instructions to robotic agents to assist with navigation and manipulation tasks in remote settings? Can we talk to robots about the surrounding visual world, and help them interactively learn the language needed to finish a task? We hope to learn about (and begin to answer) these questions as we delve deeper into spatial language understanding and grounding language for robotics.
TOPICS OF INTEREST
The major topics covered in the workshop include:
- Spatial Language Meaning Representation (Continuous, Symbolic)
- Spatial Language Learning and Reasoning
- Multimodal Spatial Understanding
- Instruction Following (real or simulated)
- Grounded or Embodied tasks
- Datasets and evaluation metrics
For a full description and subtopics, please look at the workshop website at https://splu-robonlp.github.io/ .
IMPORTANT DATES
Extended Submission Deadline: March 11, 2019 March 6, 2019 (11:59pm UTC-12)
Notification: March 27, 2019
Camera Ready deadline: April 5, 2019
Workshop Day: June 6, 2019
SUBMISSION AND SELECTION PROCESS
We encourage contributions with technical papers (NAACL style, 8 pages without references) or position statements (NAACL style, 4 pages maximum) describing previously unpublished work. NAACL Style files are available here<https://naacl2019.org/calls/papers>. Both archival and non-archival submissions are accepted. Please make submissions via Softconf here<https://www.softconf.com/naacl2019/splu>.
BEST PAPER(S)
The SpLU-RoboNLP 2019 expert program committee will select the best paper(s) for an award.
INVITED SPEAKERS
* Dhruv Batra<https://www.cc.gatech.edu/~dbatra/>, GaTech/FAIR
* Joyce Chai<http://www.cse.msu.edu/~jchai/>, Michigan State University
* Cynthia Matuszek<https://www.csee.umbc.edu/~cmat/>, UMBC
* Raymond J. Mooney<https://www.cs.utexas.edu/~mooney/>, UT Austin
* Martha Palmer<https://www.colorado.edu//faculty/palmer-martha/>, CU Boulder
* Matthias Scheutz<https://engineering.tufts.edu/people/faculty/matthias-scheutz>, Tufts
* Stefanie Tellex<https://cs.brown.edu/~stefie10/>, Brown
* Dilek Hakkani-Tur<https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=GMcL_9kAAAAJ&hl=en&authuser=1&oi=ao>, Amazon
PROGRAM COMMITTEE
* Malihe Alikhani, Rutgers University, USA
* Yoav Artzi, Cornell University, USA
* Jacob Arkin, Univ of Rochester, USA
* John A. Bateman, Universität Bremen, Germany
* Mehul Bhatt, Örebro University, Sweden
* Jonathan Berant, Tel-Aviv University, Israel
* Raffaella Bernardi, University of Trento, Italy
* Steven Bethard, University of Arizona, USA
* Johan Bos, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
* Volkan Cirik, CMU, USA
* Guillem Collell, KU Leuven, Belgium
* Joyce Chai, Michigan State University, USA
* Angel Chang, Stanford University, USA
* Simon Dobnik, CLASP and FLOV, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
* Ekaterina Egorova, University of Zurich, Switzerland
* Zoe Falomir, Universität Bremen, Germany
* Daniel Fried, UCSF, USA
* Lucian Galescu, IHMC, USA
* Felix Gervits, Tufts, USA
* Hannaneh Hajishirzi, University of Washington, USA
* Casey Kennington, Boise State University, USA
* Jayant Krishnamurthy, Semantic Machines, USA
* Stephanie Lukin, Army Research Laboratory, USA
* Bruno Martins, University of Lisbon, Portugal
* Chris Mavrogiannis, Cornell University, USA
* Dipendra Misra, Cornell University, USA
* Marie-Francine Moens, KU Leuven, Belgium
* Ray Mooney, University of Texas, USA
* Mari Broman Olsen, Microsoft, USA
* Martijn van Otterlo, Tilburg University, The Netherlands
* Aishwarya Padmakumar, UT Austin, USA
* Natalie Parde, University of Illinois Chicago, USA
* Ian Perera, IHMC, USA
* James Pustejovsky, Brandeis University, USA
* Preeti Ramaraj, University of Michigan, USA
* Siva Reddy, Stanford University, USA
* Kirk Roberts, The University of Texas Health, USA
* Anna Rohrbach, UC Berkeley, USA
* Marcus Rohrbach, FAIR, USA
* Manolis Savva, Princeton University, USA
* Jivko Sinapov, Tufts, USA
* Kristin Stock, Massey University of New Zealand, New Zealand
* Alane Suhr, Cornell, USA
* Clare Voss, Army Research Laboratory, USA
* Xin Wang, University of California Santa Barbara, USA
* Shiqi Zhang, SUNY Binghamton, USA
* Victor Zhong, University of Washington, USA
ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
* James F. Allen, University of Rochester, IHMC, jallen at ihmc.us<mailto:jallen at ihmc.us>
* Jacob Andreas, Semantic Machines/MIT, jda at cs.berkeley.edu<mailto:jda at cs.berkeley.edu>
* Jason Baldridge, Google, jasonbaldridge at google.com<mailto:jasonbaldridge at google.com>