Connectionists: PhD position at AI-lab Brussels

Bart de Boer bart at ai.vub.ac.be
Mon Jul 29 07:59:14 EDT 2019

PhD position in
Agent Based Modeling of
Cognitively Plausible Emergent Behavior

In the context of seed funding for AI research in Flanders prof. Bart de
Boer is looking for a PhD student for the origins of language group of
the AI-lab of the Vrije Universiteit Brussels.

PhD position offered
We offer a four year PhD position funded by a scholarship with a yearly
bench fee. The PhD work will consist of building an agent-based
simulation in which we can investigate emergence of behavior in a
cognitively realistic setting. This means that the agents are not fully
rational and that they show behavior similar to that of humans, and that
interests of agents are not necessarily always aligned. The modeling
will primarily focus on emergence of speech, but the simulation should
be general enough that it can be easily adapted to other areas, such as
traffic or economic interactions.

What we are looking for
We are looking for an enthusiastic student with a degree in artificial
intelligence, cognitive science, linguistics or equivalent and who has
experience programming agent-based or cognitive models, preferably in
Python or C++. Knowledge of speech and speech processing is a bonus. The
starting date is negotiable, but preferably no later than September 2019.

How to apply
Send a recent CV, detailing your academic record and your programming
experience as well as a letter of motivation to prof. Bart de Boer. At
this stage we ask you not to send copies of your diplomas or letters of
reference. These we will request directly if we decide to further pursue
your application, If you have any questions please email prof. Bart de Boer.

Links
Context: https://ai.vub.ac.be/node/1687
Email Bart de Boer: bart at ai.vub.ac.be