Connectionists: Visiting postdoc position at AI-lab Brussels

Bart de Boer bart at ai.vub.ac.be
Mon Jul 29 08:00:05 EDT 2019

Visiting postdoc in
Cognitively Plausible Emergent Behavior

In the context of seed funding for AI research in Flanders prof. Bart de
Boer is looking for a short term (three-six months) visiting postdoc for
the origins of language group of the AI-lab of the Vrije Universiteit
Brussels.

Position offered
We offer a three-six months visiting postdoc position funded by a
scholarship and with a bench fee. The work should consist of agent-based
simulation, or of experiments to investigate emergence of behavior in a
cognitively realistic setting. This means that in a computer simulation,
the agents are not fully rational and that they show behavior similar to
that of humans, and that interests of agents are not necessarily always
aligned. Experiments should focus on factors that are typical for human
settings, but that are generally idealized away, such as altruism,
conflicts of interests and other "non-rational" behaviors. We are most
interested in modeling emergence of speech, but we welcome applications
proposing other areas, such as traffic or economic interactions.

What we are looking for
We are looking for an enthusiastic postdoc with a track record in
artificial intelligence, cognitive science, linguistics or equivalent
and who has either experience programming agent-based or cognitive
models, or who has experience with the interaction between computer
models and experiments. The starting date is negotiable, but preferably
no later than September 2019.

How to apply
Send a recent CV, detailing your academic record and your programming
experience as well as a letter of motivation to prof. Bart de Boer. Be
sure to include a short (1-page) outline of your proposed project in the
letter of motivation, as well as a short planning. At this stage we ask
you not to send copies of your diplomas or letters of reference. These
we will request directly if we decide to further pursue your
application, If you have any questions please email prof. Bart de Boer.

Links
Context: https://ai.vub.ac.be/node/1687
Email Bart de Boer: bart at ai.vub.ac.be