Connectionists: An Electrodynamic Theory of Biology

Patirniche, Dinu patirniche at biologie.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Jun 19 03:38:21 EDT 2018

Dear Colleagues,

What is a meter?

If you say a unit length, you are correct. However, the meter is not
just any unit of length, but one that is relevant for you as a human.
Mature humans are around 1.70m high, and walk comfortably at 1m/s. But
why do we use the meter at all, when it comes to expressing events and
distances encountered in the brain?

A commonly held biophysical dogma says that magnetic interactions
occurring among neighboring compartments of biological tissues, such as
for example the different neurons in a brain, can be ignored. The
typical argument used to give credit to all biophysical theories rooted
in electrostatic is related to the observation that the vast majority of
all electrical events within living tissues propagate are incredibly low
speeds. Thus, since action potentials (APs), that is, sharp fluctuations
of the electric field, are seen to propagate at speeds between 1 and 100
m/s, any dynamic induction phenomena arising due to the presence of such
an event is apriorily excluded. And indeed, with meter-long sensors
there is hardly any significant electrodynamics signals to be recorded.

However, acknowledging that the AP is playing a decisive role in the
chemical transmission cycle, we could express the AP's speed in units
that are relevant to this process. Since the dendritic spine is an
integral part of the chemical transmission machinery, we could introduce
a new unit of length and call it the "dendritic-spine-head" to mean 1
micro-meter, or 10^-6 m. Thus, referring to the spine as an observer of
the AP, this event propagates at 1,000,000 "dendritic-spine-heads"/s.
 From the perspective of a spine, the production of such an event is
anything but a stationary phenomenon, appearing necessary to consider
what an electrodynamic theory might say about the interactions between
an incoming electrical pulse and a fixed spine.

In following this route, I came to the conclusion that all biological
organisms can be easily decomposed into a finite set of disjoint, and
electrically insulated volumes, that appear to function as a set of
nested highly-exotic electromagnetic antennae. If this view can be
maintained, understanding brains as room-temperature quantum computers,
and life as a globally coherent state within some finite reach, is
inevitable.

I present this theory in a preprint entitled Dynamic Aspects of Finite
Architectures (http://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.20815.79527), and invite
you to read, comment and share this manuscript.

Best regards,
Dinu Patirniche.