Connectionists: PhD Position in Computational Neuroscience / Robotics at TU Munich

Philipp.Stratmann at dlr.de Philipp.Stratmann at dlr.de
Tue Jun 19 07:21:06 EDT 2018

We are seeking a PhD student with a background in computational neuroscience and/or robotics control theory. The position is supervised by Prof. Alin Albu-Schäffer in the Department of Informatics at the Technical University of Munich. You will work on the simulation and control theoretical analysis of neuronal networks for the control of biomimetic robotic systems. Results of the project will be integrated into the Human Brain Project, a €1bn flagship project of the European Commission, as an interface that connects brain simulations with robotic platforms.

While our group has a long track record in robotics, we started to extend our research in neuroscience a few years ago. You will thus be encouraged to shape this endeavor with your own ideas and overtake project responsibility.

Requirements:

  *   master’s degree in mathematics, computer science, physics, or similar
  *   experience in computational neuroscience and/or robotics control theory
  *   very good programming skills
  *   fluent in written and spoken English
  *   ability to work independently as well as in international teams

Helpful skills:

  *   Matlab and Python skills
  *   experience in movement analysis and EMG measurements

Start date: autumn 2018
Application Deadline: until position is filled

You will work in an enriching, interdisciplinary, and international collaborative framework at the leading department of informatics in Germany (cf. the Shanghai and the QS ranking). Close links to the neuroscience community are guaranteed as the project is embedded within the Human Brain Project, but also by group collaborations e.g. with Lund University. The research will be carried out in particular close linkage to the Institute of Robotics and Mechatronics at the German Aerospace Center (DLR). Due to this linkage, we can offer a range of robotic systems for functional testing of simulated neuronal networks in biomimetic robots and for non-invasive testing of movement hypotheses on human subjects.

A competitive funding is offered at 100% on the German employee scale TV-L 13. Further funding is available to cover participations at international conferences and workshops.

If you are interested, please provide Philipp Stratmann (philipp.stratmann at tum.de<mailto:philipp.stratmann at tum.de>) with a cover letter and a CV, including contact information of reference letter writers. Please don’t hesitate to contact us in case of questions.

The Department of Informatics aims to increase its number of female researchers and therefore particularly welcomes applications from women. We also welcome applications from disabled persons.

Philipp Stratmann | Research Associate
Philipp.Stratmann at tum.de<mailto:Philipp.Stratmann at tum.de> | (+49) 8153 28-4215

German Aerospace Center (DLR)
Institute of Robotics and Mechatronics | Muenchener Strasse 20 | 82234 Wessling | Germany
Technical University of Munich
Department of Informatics | Boltzmannstrasse 3 | 85748 Garching | Germany

University of Oxford '14: MSc in Neuroscience
RWTH Aachen University '13: BSc in Physics