Connectionists: Robotics Technician

Tony Pipe tony.pipe at brl.ac.uk
Tue Dec 18 07:00:39 EST 2018

Robotics Technician

Full Description of post at:
https://atsv7.wcn.co.uk/search_engine/jobs.cgi?SID=amNvZGU9MTc3NTU5NiZ2dF90ZW1wbGF0ZT0xNTM4Jm93bmVyPTUwNTUyNzgmb3duZXJ0eXBlPWZhaXImYnJhbmRfaWQ9MCZwb3N0aW5nX2NvZGU9NDk3

Duration of post: Permanent
Closing Date: 13th Jan 2019
Salary: £29,515 - £33,199 (Currency: GBP)

The Bristol Robotics lab seeks an experienced and enthusiastic Robotics
Technician to support teaching on their rapidly growing undergraduate
and postgraduate courses. The job role involves supporting taught
sessions in core robotic disciplines, such as electronics, mechatronics
and engineering control systems. The successful candidate will have
experience in a technical role, with a background in designing/building
robotic or mechatronic systems.

The MSc Robotics at BRL is an exciting mix of the latest technology
developments in this burgeoning and strongly inter-disciplinary area of
engineering. In fact, the remit of the students’ study crosses even
beyond engineering into all of the life sciences (e.g. Psychology,
Sociology, Biology). The programme has grown quickly to a size where
dedicated engineering support is required, and hence the requirement for
this role.

As well as providing the engineering support for the teaching programme,
a large part of your role will be to liaise with the student
dissertation project supervisory teams and work with the students in
assisting them on the software and hardware aspects of designing,
building and testing robot artefacts for R&D Projects.

In addition to these activities, there are many other ground-breaking
research-oriented areas taking place in this, the largest co-located
robotics laboratory in the UK, that require additional engineering
support from time to time. The successful applicant will, therefore,
need to have a flexible attitude towards occasionally providing
engineering support for BRL-based activities, beyond the MSc programme’s
support, in the software and hardware aspects of designing, building and
testing advanced robot artefacts, as well as assisting in maintaining
the good working status of the laboratory itself.

In all of these roles, you will be working amongst and alongside a
friendly and well-motivated team of co-workers who, together, support
the wide-ranging requirements of this steadily expanding laboratory that
conducts advanced work in all of the upcoming areas of robotics.

This post is not available on a job share basis.

Other benefits, in addition to salary:

• a generous holiday allowance of 27 days
• up to 12.5 bank holiday/closure days per year in addition;
• flexible working;
• excellent defined benefit pension schemes;
• option to participate in the cycle to work scheme;
• family friendly policies;
• onsite nursery at our Frenchay Campus;
• option to purchase childcare vouchers.

This post is based at our lively Frenchay campus where we have invested
in the latest facilities and resources to give our students access to
everything they need to succeed – with £200m being spent on new
state-of-the-art learning spaces and accommodation between now and 2020
to enhance our offer even further.

If you would like an informal discussion, please contact Ian Horsfield
on 0117 3286337 or email Ian2.Horsfield at uwe.ac.uk.

Please see the full job description and information for applicants for
the role at:
https://atsv7.wcn.co.uk/search_engine/jobs.cgi?SID=amNvZGU9MTc3NTU5NiZ2dF90ZW1wbGF0ZT0xNTM4Jm93bmVyPTUwNTUyNzgmb3duZXJ0eXBlPWZhaXImYnJhbmRfaWQ9MCZwb3N0aW5nX2NvZGU9NDk3

UWE is committed to supporting and promoting equality and diversity to
create an inclusive working environment. We believe this can be achieved
through attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse range of staff
from many different backgrounds who share our ambition to be a
university recognised for the success and impact of our
practice-oriented programmes; our strong industry networks and our
inclusive global outlook.

--
Tony Pipe
Professor of Robotics and Autonomous Systems

Bristol Robotics Laboratory
T-Building
Frenchay Campus
Bristol UK BS16 1QY