Connectionists: JOB: Data Scientist, Acadia University's Institute for Data Analytics

Danny Silver danny.silver at acadiau.ca
Fri Aug 24 20:16:42 EDT 2018

The following employment opportunities are now posted on the Acadia University Human Resources website.
Applicants should apply as indicated in the adverts.  The Employment Application form can be found in the Acadia HR website.

Data Scientist, Acadia Institute for Data Analytics (3 year term contract)
              https://hr.acadiau.ca/tl_files/sites/hr/Employment/Job%20Postings/ADMIN/18-32-AU.pdf
Consideration of applications will begin on 5 September 2018.

THE OPPORTUNITY
Acadia seeks a Data Scientist to fill a 3-year term contract in the Acadia Institute for Data Analytics (AIDA) to play a lead role in working with new start-up companies and existing businesses to maximize their potential to create world-class offerings based on data analytics methods and applied research in machine learning. The Data Scientist will undertake pre-project work to determine the nature of a data analytics opportunity, develop a project proposal, apply for project and event funding, plan and manage all aspects of the project, supervise research and technical assistants, and work with ADIA staff on the promotion, outreach and training of data analytics in Nova Scotia and Atlantic Canada. S/he will work with a wide range of stakeholders, functional teams, and application domains (agriculture, aquaculture, environment, green energy, health care, business) as well as student (senior undergraduate and graduate) research assistants. A detailed job description is available upon request.

THE CANDIDATE
We are seeking candidates who have a Master’s or PHD in Computer Science with a major in Data Science or Data Analytics with at least one year of related data analytics project experience and publications in the area of data analytics and machine learning or related areas. Applicants must have strong communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills and a demonstrated ability to use sound judgment, maintain confidentiality and make good technical and business decisions. The ideal candidate will have experience with the data mining life cycle (eg. CRISP-DM) and managing projects that include: business understanding, data understanding, data preparation and data visualization, predictive model development and evaluation, and model deployment and project reporting. Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, deep learning, etc.) and experience with associated tools and libraries (eg. R, python, Tensorflow) will be required. Applicants must be able to work a flexible schedule and possess a valid driver’s license as occasional travel may be required.

THE REWARDS
This position offers the opportunity to work on a variety of data analytics projects and to help build new high technology companies in Nova Scotia and Atlantic Canada.
Acadia offers a comprehensive benefit package in addition to a starting salary of $80,000 per annum. To see more information on why Acadia is an employer of choice, please visit our website: http://hr.acadiau.ca
To apply, forward a completed Employment Application form (see HR website), quoting competition #18-32-AU in the subject line, and forward with your resume via any of the following:
E-mail: Employment at acadiau.ca<mailto:Employment at acadiau.ca>
Fax: 902-585-1075
Post: Department of Human Resources Acadia University Wolfville NS B4P 2R6

Consideration of applications will begin on 5 September 2018.
For further information, please contact Kelli Mahoney at 902-585-1633 or kelli.mahoney at acadiau.ca

Acadia University is committed to employment equity and values a diverse and inclusive workplace. We make every effort to hire exceptional individuals; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. We thank all applicants in advance, and advise that only those invited for an interview will be contacted. The University reserves the right not to fill this position. A six-month eligibility list may be established from this competition to fill future vacancies for identical positions.

Acadia University is one of Canada’s leading primarily undergraduate institutions. For over 175 years, Acadia has been providing students with a learning environment that ensures they have every opportunity to succeed in life. Our graduates emerge with the tools required to be global citizens and community leaders. Acadia’s faculty and staff are key to our institutional success and share a commitment to provide our students with a high quality post-secondary education. Located only one hour from Halifax in Nova Scotia's beautiful Annapolis Valley, Wolfville offers residents an affordable lifestyle, outstanding recreational opportunities, internationally acclaimed restaurants, a healthy economy, and the best weather in the Atlantic provinces.