Connectionists: Review article: Towards building a more complex view of the lateral geniculate nucleus: Recent advances in understanding its role

Masoud Ghodrati masoud.ghodrati at monash.edu
Mon Jul 17 04:17:11 EDT 2017

Dear vision scientists,

    We would like to draw your attention to our recent review paper
entitled "Towards building a more complex view of the lateral geniculate
nucleus: Recent advances in understanding its role
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301008215300757>"
published in Progress in Neurobiology, Jun 2017. We hope that this review
can link different findings about the LGN function and opens new research
avenues in the field.

*Recent evidence shows that lateral geniculate nucleus (LGN) has more
sophisticated functions than a mere relaying hub. We provide a rather
unfiltered and eclectic review of the LGN functions, with some focus on its
computational role, as well as its role in higher level cognitive process
(specifically higher level vision). **In particular, we argue that the LGN
has a variety of complex nonlinear behaviors (perhaps the most interesting
nonlinearity involves feedback from cortex). We suggest further development
of feedback models of high-level vision considering the LGN function.
Because of LGN’s contribution in temporal aspects of object processing,
modeling LGN function particularly becomes more important when considering
non-stationary stimuli (such as videos). Predictive coding and expectation
coding models are in this direction.*

Actual link:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301008215300757
Here is authors’ free PDF version of the manuscript: https://goo.gl/KCmUR7

Best

--
Masoud Ghodrati,

Department of Physiology,
Monash University, Melbourne, Australia.

E-mails: masoud.ghodrati at monash.edu
Web pages (Personal) : https://sites.google.com/site/masoudghodrati1985/