Connectionists: Open position: Coordinator Scientific Computing at Research Center Juelich, Germany

Martina Reske m.reske at fz-juelich.de
Tue Dec 19 05:18:11 EST 2017

Dear Connectionist community

The Institute of Neuroscience and Medicine (INM) investigates the structure and function of the human brain on different spatial and temporal scales within the research program “Decoding the Human Brain”. The brain’s high complexity and plasticity over the lifespan of an individual, as well as changes during neuropsychiatric disorders, requires the use of innovative imaging methods and supercomputing technology. Basic neuroscience research heavily relies on modeling and simulation, which are necessary to approach the brain’s immense complexity, manage the huge amount of resulting data, and develop reliable control techniques. Acquired knowledge allows for the translation of basic findings into clinical applications to better understand neurological and psychiatric disorders, to refine diagnostic processes, and to develop therapy strategies – crucial tasks we have to face in ageing societies.

The department INM-6, Computational and Systems Neuroscience, develops mathematical models of neuronal dynamics and function. We are active in neuromorphic computing and develop simulation technologies and analysis tools.

We are looking to recruit a Coordinator Scientific Computing

Your Job:

  *   Design and continuous advancement of a roadmap for scientific computing with regard to hard- and software
  *   Designing a cloud infrastructure and digitized workflows in theoretical neuroscience
  *   Studying international developments in hard- and software in the fields of simulation and data science in neuroscience
  *   Planning, purchasing, set-up and management of UNIX, Linux, Mac OS and Windows systems, communication systems and software
  *   Support of institute’s databases and online tools (webdav, git, wordpress, website); user management
  *   Further development of simulation and analysis codes with regard to system near aspects
  *   Measurement of energy-to-solution and time-to-solution of simulations and analysis codes for scientific studies
  *   Direct support of scientists
  *   Participation in working group leaders’ meeting
  *   Participation in relevant IT committees at Forschungszentrum Juelich
  *   Participation in educating staff in HPC aspects

Your Profile:

  *   Completed study of informatics, mathematics or physics
  *   Substantial expertise in C, C++ and Python
  *   Substantial knowledge of UNIX, Windows and Mac OS
  *   Experience with administration of HPC clusters, file, web and print servers as well as with parallel computing (ideally in neuroscience)
  *   Beneficial: Basic knowledge of neuroscience concepts
  *   Ability and willingness to work independently and proactively
  *   Confident appearance and ability to work cooperatively in an interdisciplinary environment
  *   Good interpersonal and communication skills
  *   Structured and systematic working style
  *   Fluent in English (spoken and written)

Our Offer:

  *   International, interdisciplinary working environment on an attractive research campus, ideally situated between the cities of Cologne, Düsseldorf, and Aachen
  *   A comprehensive further training Programme
  *   Flexible working hours and various opportunities to reconcile work and family life
  *   Limited for 2 years with possible longer-term prospects
  *   Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD)

Forschungszentrum Jülich aims to employ more women in this area and therefore particulary welcomes applications from women.

We also welcome applications from disabled persons.

We look forward to receiving your application, preferably online<https://www.hrecruiting.de/obf2/bewerbermanagement.php?kunden_nr=t5ChjatkIfdwmACO&link_id=5YHudKLphiwZ0mim&obf_strukt_id=cAYHHVuA4KdmyCuFew&lang=en> via our online recruitment system on our career site, quoting the reference number 2017-321.

Contact Human Resource Development and Recruiting
Kristin Lux
Tel.:+49 2461 61 9700

--

Dr. Martina Reske
Scientific Coordinator

Institute of Neuroscience and Medicine (INM-6)
Computational and Systems Neuroscience &
Institute for Advanced Simulation (IAS-6)
Theoretical Neuroscience
Jülich Research Centre and JARA
Jülich, Germany
Work +49.2461.611916