Connectionists: New interdisciplinary MS in Analytics Degree at Georgia Tech

bgm14www@gmail.com dchau at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Oct 22 01:15:19 EDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

For those of you who aren't aware of it, we'd like to introduce Georgia
Tech's interdisciplinary Master of Science in Analytics.

Offered jointly by GT's nationally-ranked colleges of Computing,
Engineering, and Business, the MS in Analytics degree leverages the
strengths and resources of Georgia Tech in computing, business,
statistics, and operations research.

The curriculum includes:

  * An interdisciplinary core to give students integrated breadth

  * Customized, specialized depth: electives chosen from more than 40
possibilities across the three colleges, based on each student's
personal interests and career goals, and specialization in one of
three tracks in analytical tools, business analytics, and
computational data analytics

  * Experience with a wide variety of analytics software (R, SAS,
Hadoop, etc.) and computing platforms (high-performance clusters,
clouds, etc.)

  * Practical analytics experience through an applied analytics
practicum with a company or organization

Students also benefit from training and resources in:
  * Creativity
  * Teamwork and leadership
  * Oral and written communication
  * Job placement, including a dedicated placement professional,
funding to attend a major analytics conference, exposure at Georgia
Tech's annual Big Data Forum, etc.

Our incoming Fall 2014 cohort is an impressive lot!  Our 40 students have
a median quantitative GRE/GMAT score in the 93rd percentile, a median GPA
of 3.7, and a median 2 years of work experience, with 25% having 10+ years
of experience.  15 incoming students already have a Master's degree in
another field, and 5 have a PhD or MD.

They come from very diverse academic backgrounds -- not just business,
engineering, math, computer science, statistics, and economics, but also
anthropology, clinical research, medicine, psychology, religion, etc.
Give us anyone with the right ability, and we'll teach them the skills
they need to be an outstanding analytics professional!

On that note, we'd like to ask you to consider pointing your top analytics-
interested students in our direction.  If you or they have any questions about
Georgia Tech's MS in Analytics, we'd be happy to be answer them.

Thanks very much!

Joel Sokol
Director, Master of Science in Analytics
Fouts Family Associate Professor
H. Milton Stewart School of Industrial and Systems Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology

Sandra Slaughter
Associate Director, Master of Science in Analytics
Scheller College of Business
Georgia Institute of Technology

Polo Chau
Associate Director, Master of Science in Analytics
College of Computing
Georgia Institute of Technology

For more information see: http://www.analytics.gatech.edu/