Connectionists: The Atoms of Neural Computation: A reply to Gary Marcus

Dror Cohen dror.cohen07 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 17:57:07 EST 2014

"lumpers and splitters" I like that :).

There is another aspect to this debate that I think is often overlooked.

Biological systems exhibit high degeneracy. In this context, degeneracy
refers to the ability of different mechanisms to produce the same function.
This is to be contrasted with redundancy, which occurs when similar
mechanisms produce the same function.  See below for an excellent overview.

Degeneracy and Complexity in Biological Systems
Gerald M. Edelman and Joseph A. Gally
PNAS 2001

There may be large variability in the types of neurons in the cortex, but
my bet is that their functions overlap - that is, this variability, in
part, is an example of degeneracy.

I'm interested in doing some simulations to develop this idea, if anyone is
interested please feel free to email me.

Thanks,

Dror