Connectionists: How the brain works

Danko Nikolic danko.nikolic at googlemail.com
Wed May 28 11:09:22 EDT 2014

On 28/05/14 14:27, Juyang Weng wrote:

> What about a primate, an animal, and an inset. How many traverses does
> each have?

They all have three traverses. They are all biological behaving systems.

Let us put it that way:

- A small computer is more adaptive than a gigantic book.
- A small AI system is more adaptive than a gigantic (non AI) computer.
- A small animal is more adaptive than a gigantic AI system (of today).

A human is different from an insect by the amount of cybernetic
knowledge, not by the number of traverses. The total amount of
cybernetic knowledge is called *variety* after Ashby, and is a different
property of the system than is a traverse.

Our total intelligence is a combination of the two: variety + traverses.

We humans are at leading positions at both: we are more adaptive than
any other high-variety system. And we possess more variety than any
other high-traverse system.

That is how we rule the world. For now.

Danko

--
Prof. Dr. Danko Nikolić

Web:
http://www.danko-nikolic.com

Mail address 1:
Department of Neurophysiology
Max Planck Institut for Brain Research
Deutschordenstr. 46
60528 Frankfurt am Main
GERMANY

Mail address 2:
Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies
Wolfgang Goethe University
Ruth-Moufang-Str. 1
60433 Frankfurt am Main
GERMANY