Connectionists: How the brain works

Juyang Weng weng at cse.msu.edu
Wed May 28 08:27:10 EDT 2014

Danko:

I browsed both of your pages.  Thank you for providing them to this
list.   Communication on how the brain works is hard.
I quote your traverse below on which you claimed that AI system has two
traverses and the brain has three:

Adaptive traverse: When a system undergoes operations and
monitor-and-act units execute their functions, general cybernetic
knowledge at one level of organization is being applied in order to
extract cybernetic knowledge at another, higher level of organization.
We refer to this process as adaptive traverse, or for short just a traverse.

*A book*: dumbest; zero traverses*
A computer*: somewhat smarter; one traverse*
An AI system*: much smarter; two traverses*
A human*: rules them all; three traverses

What about a primate, an animal, and an inset. How many traverses does
each have?

I have proposed Self-Aware Self-Effecting mental architecture.  You
might want to take a look to compare the difference with yours.

-John

On 5/28/14 6:58 PM, Danko Nikolic wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I made an effort to make practopoiesis more approachable to a wider
> audience:
>

> One: I wrote a short popular article on the implications of
> practopoiesis for artificial intelligence:
>
> http://www.singularityweblog.com/practopoiesis/
>

> Two: I made a list of the key concepts with a brief explanation of each:
>
> http://www.danko-nikolic.com/practopoiesis#Concepts
>

> I hope that this will be helpful.
>
> With warm greetings from Germany,
>
> Danko Nikolic

Juyang (John) Weng, Professor
MSU Cognitive Science Program and MSU Neuroscience Program
428 S Shaw Ln Rm 3115
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824 USA
Tel: 517-353-4388