Connectionists: How the brain works

Mark H. Bickhard mhb0 at lehigh.edu
Fri May 23 14:16:49 EDT 2014

I offer some thoughts on this, extracted from a recent paper:

“In fact, we find that actual CNS neurons are endogenously active, with baseline rates of oscillation, and with multiple modulatory relationships across a wide range of temporal and spatial scales:
silent neurons that rarely or never fire, but that do carry slow potential waves (Bullock, 1981; Fuxe & Agnati, 1991; Haag & Borst, 1998; Roberts & Bush, 1981);
volume transmitters, released into intercellular regions and diffused throughout populations of neurons rather than being constrained to a synaptic cleft (Agnati, Bjelke & Fuxe, 1992; Agnati, Fuxe, Nicholson & Syková, 2000); such neuromodulators can reconfigure the functional properties of  “circuits” and even reconfigure functional connectivity (Marder & Thirumalai, 2002; Marder, 2012);
gaseous transmitter substances, such as NO, that diffuse without constraint from synapses and cell walls (e.g., Brann, Ganapathy, Lamar & Mahesh, 1997);
gap junctions, that function extremely fast and without any transmitter substance (Dowling, 1992; Hall, 1992; Nauta & Feirtag, 1986);
neurons, and neural circuits, that have resonance frequencies, and, thus, can selectively respond to modulatory influences with the “right” carrier frequencies (Izhikevich, 2001, 2002, 2007);
astrocytes that[1]:
·      have neurotransmitter receptors,
·      secrete neurotransmitters,
·      modulate synaptogenesis,
·      modulate synapses with respect to the degree to which they function as volume transmission synapses,
·      create enclosed “bubbles” within which they control the local environment in which neurons interact with each other,
·      carry calcium waves across populations of astrocytes via gap junctions.
These aspects of CNS processes make little sense in standard neural information processing models.  In these, the central nervous system is considered to consist of passive threshold switch or input transforming neurons functioning in complex micro- and macro-circuits.  Enough is known about alternative functional processes in the CNS, however, to know that this cannot be correct.  The multifarious tool box of short through long temporal scale forms of modulation — many realized in ways that contradict orthodoxy concerning standard integrate and fire models of neurons communicating via classical synapses — is at best a wildly extravagant and unnecessary range of evolutionary implementations of simple circuits of neural threshold switches.  This range, however, is precisely what is to be expected in a functional architecture composed of multiple scale modulatory influences among oscillatory processes (Bickhard, in preparation-a; Bickhard & Campbell, 1996; Bickhard & Terveen, 1995).

[1] The literature on astrocytes has expanded dramatically in recent years: e.g., Bushong, Martone, Ellisman, 2004; Chvátal & Syková, 2000; Hertz & Zielker, 2004; Nedergaard, Ransom & Goldman, 2003; Newman, 2003; Perea & Araque, 2007; Ransom, Behar & Nedergaard, 2003; Slezak & Pfreiger, 2003; Verkhratsky & Butt, 2007; Viggiano, Ibrahim, & Celio, 2000.“

This is from:
Bickhard, M. H.  Toward a Model of Functional Brain Processes: Central Nervous System Functional Architecture.

The basic critique of information processing models applies just as strongly to Predictive Brain models.  It is elaborated, and an alternative is outlined, in:
Bickhard, M. H.  (forthcoming, 2014).  The Anticipatory Brain: Two Approaches.  In V. C. Müller (Ed.)  Fundamental Issues of Artificial Intelligence. Berlin: Springer (Synthese Library).

I have attempted some first steps toward both a micro-functional and a macro-functional model that can account for and accommodate such facts in the functional brain processes paper.

Mark

Mark H. Bickhard
Lehigh University
17 Memorial Drive East