Connectionists: How the brain works

Brian J Mingus brian.mingus at colorado.edu
Fri May 23 12:45:38 EDT 2014

Is there anything that can't be represented as a single equation or a
really long run on sentence aka model?

With regards to whether new models such as *poesis are accepted by the
field, I think this really boils down to identity politics. Most
researchers are doing a mix of wanting to understand how their brain works
and wanting to help humanity by grokking the brain to solve problems like
epilepsy etc. The part of them that just wants to understand how their
brain works will obviously tend to prefer their own personal rotation of
the space. The part that wants to help humanity sees the need to integrate
new theories, but this conflicts with the ego and these new theories are
more likely to be changed beyond recognition to fit into a given
researchers existing framework than to be supported and encouraged.

Every once in a while a researcher will stumble upon a description so short
and so elegant that it easily transcends the usefulness of all existing
theories. However, the brain isn't like previous objects of study. It's
essentially the most sophisticated thing that science has ever turned its
gaze on. Whether it lends itself to simple "single equation" descriptions
is an open question, but I personally doubt it. All models are wrong, and
this applies to every model of the brain. Some models are useful, and this
also applies to every model of the brain. For the purposes of understanding
how your own brain works, an arbitrary rotation of a sophisticated theory
seems quite sufficient. For solving actual problems, like epilepsy, some
models will be more useful than others. That said, a model isn't always
even needed to solve a problem: the latest epilepsy drugs are the most
effective and they are found by shotgun approaches which result in drugs
that work and for reasons that nobody understands.

Zooming out, I like to ask myself whether there's a reason things are the
way they are. This is obviously an unanswerable question, but it does shine
a light on the fact that we have egos, and that this process of
ego-scaffolding leads to many researchers focusing on different
perspectives at different levels of analysis. The academic publishing
system then broadcasts these perspectives, and whether or not we give truly
fair credit assignment versus implicitly mashing their theory into our own
preferred framework, everything does in the end get all mixed up together,
resulting in a better set of theories overall. One wonders if this
apparently fortuitous coincidence isn't a coincidence after all. I
personally suspect the usefulness of what we're doing is that we are all
contributing to the building of something great. While this somewhat
justifies the existing system, given that it actually appears to be working
(in a way that none of us understands), I would also advocate a more
egalitarian approach where we open our minds to as many theories as
possible and cheer on perspectives different from our own. And from this
angle, I really like the promise of more informal mailing list
conversations for the spread of ideas and hope that you guys keep it up,
because I love reading your ideas. And I wish more folks would jump in too
and help us all out, rather than just hiding out in the darkness of the
literature!

Brian

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=74878589