Connectionists: Best practices in model publication

Richard Loosemore rloosemore at susaro.com
Wed Jan 29 20:38:34 EST 2014

On 1/29/14, 6:52 PM, james bower wrote:
> Interesting
>
> With respect to the cortical column discussion we didn't yet have
> (whether they exist or not), there were actually two papers published
> by Vernon Mountcastle in the late 1950s in which the cortical column
> idea was introduced.
>
> The first included mostly the data, the second mostly the idea.
>
> I once plotted literature citations for the two papers.  For the first
> 10 years, the data paper was cited much more than the theory paper.
>  However, 15 year out they crossed and now the data paper is almost
> never sited.
>
> So, as mentioned earlier with Marr and Albus, perhaps it is a kind of
> theory envy in neuroscience, but it is not at all unusual in
> neuroscience  to have exactly the opposite be the case, that the data
> is forgotten and the theory persist.
>
> Perhaps all this is leading to an interesting article (or perhaps book
> with a series of essays) on how physics and biology are similar and
> different.  Anyone interested?

I mentioned earlier in the discussion that I myself *have* explicitly
considered this issue:  trying to understand what it is about cognitive
systems that could make them not directable amenable to the methods of
physics.  I published a paper about it in 2007 and then a chapter
expanding the same idea in 2012 (refs below).

The conclusions I came to have been (and I am sure will continue to be)
completely ignored.

Nobody wants to hear that this or that methodology is what they *should*
be adopting.  Nobody will never give a hoot about such a message.  It is
considered, in the psychological/cognitive sciences to be almost rude
(not to say gauche) to tell other people how they should be doing science.

So compile a book about the book about "physics and biology are similar
and different" if you feel inclined, but all it will do is act as a
bookcase-weight.

Richard Loosemore

Refs:

Loosemore, R.P.W. (2007).  Complex Systems, Artificial Intelligence and
Theoretical Psychology.  In B. Goertzel & P. Wang (Eds.),  Proceedings
of the 2006 AGI Workshop.  IOS Press, Amsterdam.

Loosemore, R.P.W. (2012b).  The Complex Cognitive Systems Manifesto.
In:  The Yearbook of Nanotechnology, Volume III: Nanotechnology, the
Brain, and the Future, S. Hays, J. S. Robert, C. A. Miller, and I.
Bennett (Eds). New York, NY: Springer, (2012)