Connectionists: "Abstract" vs "Biologically realistic" modelling

james bower bower at uthscsa.edu
Wed Jan 29 11:23:56 EST 2014

I bet you guys wish I still had to attend faculty meetings, meet with the various dean-lits about new safety measures for the laboratory and spend hours talking about ways to reorganize the graduate program given new budgetary constraints.  I also never have to have another discussion about the ROI for every square inch of my laboratory.  he he.

Thus, returning to intellectual pursuits  :-)  :

In addition to the on-list conversation, there has also been a robust off list conversation going on. Remarkably enough, it turns out that several members of the list have actually taken the time to read the paper on Purkinje cells that I linked to - and several have made the valid point that work on the cerebellum has the considerable benefit that we actually know a lot (and have for more than 100 years) about its basic architecture.

Which raises another issue.

To return to Newton.  From historical documents, it would appear, as I have said, that a key insight that eventually drove his work on mechanics, was obtained when he was quite young, by examining celestial mechanics with what was, in effect, a ‘realistic’ model of the moon orbiting the earth.  He did not, as Kepler had, for example, taken on the problem of planetary motion - instead he chose a system with quite good data, and importantly, a case in which the orbit was actually almost circular.  Not coincidentally, there has never been any debate but that the moon actually does revolve around the earth.

In other words, he chose the right system to ask the question.

In neuroscience and computational neuroscience in particular, the majority of the models theories and even experimental work involves the visual system.  The reason is probably obvious, as we value ours a lot.  However, as several off list have pointed out I think accurately, we still to this day know much less about the visual system’s architecture than we do about that of the cerebellum or for example 3 layered cortex like that used by the olfactory system.

Not to be controversial, but, if I were NIH - I would suspend funding work on the visual system, or neo-cortex in general, and get the field to focus on ‘archi-cortex’ and the systems that use it (olfaction being the primary one).  I would also suspend work on the hippocampus, until we actually understand the role the olfactory system played in the evolution and even current function of that structure.  In fact, from the point of view of comparative mammalian studies - the olfactory system is much more behaviorally important (even for us) than the visual system anyway.  (have you ever gone out on a date twice with someone whose smell you found offensive - nope).  Furthermore, there are good reasons to believe  that the olfactory system “invented” the fundamental architecture of cerebral cortical networks.  Accordingly, I have suggested for many years that if you want to understand how cerebral cortex works, you first need to understand this structure in the context of the sensory system that invented it (olfaction),  not the ones that parasitized it (e.g. vision).

I can provide papers for anyone interested.

So, NOW not only am I telling you HOW to study the brain, and I am also telling you what parts of the brain it makes the most sense to study, given the current state of neuroscience.  :-)

(Does his arrogance know no bounds  :-)  ).

In biology, the right choice of system (squid axon, lobster somatogastric system, Tritonia swim system, cerebellum, olfactory system) has always been critically important to make progress.

Jim