Connectionists: "Abstract" vs "Biologically realistic" modelling

Mark Orr mo2259 at columbia.edu
Tue Jan 28 23:26:57 EST 2014

Jim,
With all the talk of physics, let's not forget Feynman's eloquence in explaining an unsolved and old problem in physics:  turbulence.  Where the understanding of the parts does not lead up to much of an understanding of the whole.

"How vivid is the claret, pressing its existence into the consciousness that watches it!  If our small minds, for some convenience, divide this glass of wine, this universe, into parts--physics, biology, geology, astronomy, psychology, and so on--remember that nature does not know it!  So let us put it all back together, not forgetting ultimately what it is for.  Let it give us one more final pleasure:  drink it and forget it all!"

								-Richard Feynman, from Six Easy Pieces