Connectionists: Physics and Psychology (and the C-word)

Brian J Mingus brian.mingus at colorado.edu
Tue Jan 28 15:09:14 EST 2014

Hi Richard, thanks for the feedback.

> Yes, in general, having an outcome measure that correlates with C ...
that is good, but only with a clear and unambigous meaning for C itself
(which I don't think anyone has, so therefore it is, after all, of no value
to look for outcome measures that correlate)

Actually, the outcome measure I described is independent of a clear and
unambiguous meaning for C itself, and in an interesting way: the models,
like us, essentially reinvent the entire literature, and have a
conversation as we do, inventing almost all the same positions that we've
invented (including the one in your paper).

I will read your paper and see if it changes my position. At the present
time, however, I can't imagine any information that would solve the
so-called zombie problem. I'm not a big fan of integrative information
theory - I don't think hydrogen atoms are conscious, and I don't think
naive bayes trained on a large corpus and run in generative mode is
conscious. Thus, if the model doesn't go through the same philosophical
reasoning that we've collectively gone through with regards to subjective
experience, then I'm going to wonder if its experience is anything like
mine at all.

Touching back on QM, if we create a point neuron-based model that doesn't
wax philosophical on consciousness, I'm going to wonder if we should add
lower levels of analysis.

I will take a look at your paper, and see if it changes my view on this at
all.

Cheers,

Brian Mingus

http://grey.colorado.edu/mingus