Connectionists: Physics and Psychology (and the C-word)

Brian J Mingus brian.mingus at colorado.edu
Tue Jan 28 10:34:50 EST 2014

Hi Richard,

> I can tell you that the quantum story isn't nearly enough clear in the
minds of physicists, yet, so how it can be applied to the C question is
beyond me.  Frankly, it does NOT apply:  saying anything about observers
and entanglement does not at any point touch the kind of statements that
involve talk about qualia etc.

I'm not sure I see the argument you're trying to make here. If you have an
outcome measure that you agree correlates with consciousness, then we have
a framework for scientifically studying it.

Here's my setup: If you create a society of models and do not expose them
to a corpus containing consciousness philosophy and they then, in a
reasonably short amount of time, independently rewrite it, they are almost
certainly conscious. This design explicitly rules out a generative model
that accidentally spits out consciousness philosophy.

Another approach is to accept that our brains are so similar that you and I
are almost certainly both conscious, and to then perform experiments on
each other and study our subjective reports.

Another approach is to perform experiments on your own brain and to write
first person reports about your experience.

These three approaches each have tradeoffs, and each provide unique
information. The first approach, in particular, might ultimately allow us
to draw some of the strongest possible conclusions. For example, it allows
for the scientific study of the extent to which quantum effects may or may
not be relevant.

I'm very interested in hearing any counterarguments as to why this general
approach won't work. If it *can't* work, then I would argue that perhaps we
should not create full models of ourselves, but should instead focus on
upgrading ourselves. From that perspective, getting this to work is
extremely important, despite however futuristic it may seem.

> So let's let that sleeping dog lie.... (?).

Not gonna' happen. :)

Brian Mingus
http://grey.colorado.edu