Connectionists: Building a healthy theoretical neuroscience community

Randall O'Reilly randy.oreilly at colorado.edu
Mon Jan 27 14:57:06 EST 2014

To pick up on this thread of the discussion:

* If we want to build a healthy and vibrant community, we need to be supportive of a plurality of research approaches — there are sub-fields of science where everyone is supportive and constructive, and these fields get their papers published in top journals, and cited widely, and grants funded, etc.  Then there are fields where everyone is cutting down everything that is “NIH” (not invented here).  Those fields are suicidal.  Perhaps because of the creative nature of the modeling process, people tend to get strongly attached to their creations, and mistakenly view other ideas as threatening.  If there are multiple clear, sensible alternative models, with distinct testable predictions, then we are contributing productively to the larger field, and almost every experimentalist I’ve ever talked with is excited by that kind of thing.  Along these lines, I personally have made a strong conscious effort to be as constructive and positive about papers that I also have strong concerns about, including one that was discussed earlier in this thread.  The more theoretical modeling papers that are published in high-profile journals, the better — we really do all win when any one of us is making an impact!  [Obviously, you don’t want to suspend all criticism, and you don’t want obviously bad stuff to be published, but you really do have to work hard to distinguish opinion from quality..]

* The perception expressed in several comments that theoretical work is not impactful rings false to me, and sends an overly pessimistic message and “negative self image”, which is also not constructive to building a growing and vibrant community.  I can point to a large number of domains where computational models have played central roles in shaping the broader theoretical discourse and experiments, including in the hippocampus, basal ganglia & dopamine reinforcement learning, prefrontal cortex, and in visual object recognition (and probably a lot of other areas I don’t know enough about). The recent work on grid cells in the entorhinal cortex is a spectacular example of the interplay between models and experiments, for example.

* Also, whoever thinks the BRAIN initiative is draining resources is crazy.  It is a TINY amount of $ relative to overall budgets, and furthermore all the recent DARPA initiative teams (which represent roughly $100 million I think) that I know about involved a major contribution from theoretical / computational modeling.  More generally, various branches of the DOD and intelligence research communities, and obviously industry such as google etc, are increasingly optimistic about brain-inspired approaches to intelligence, so this is an incredible opportunity for growing our field.  And from what I’ve seen, there is an strong recognition among those in charge of giving out the $ that this is *the* hard problem, and it will take a sustained investment to make progress, but there is enough promise already that these investments are clearly going to pay off.  So we should be breaking out the champagne, not spewing the sour grapes!  I would be doing so if I wasn’t so busy writing so many damn grant proposals! :)

- Randy