Connectionists: Brain-like computing fanfare and big data fanfare

Ivan Raikov ivan.g.raikov at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 20:02:06 EST 2014

I think perhaps the objection to the Big Data approach is that it is
applied to the exclusion of all other modelling approaches. While it is
true that complete and detailed understanding of  neurophysiology and
anatomy is at the heart of neuroscience, a lot can be learned about signal
propagation in excitable branching structures using statistical physics,
and a lot can be learned about information representation and transmission
in the brain using mathematical theories about distributed communicating
processes. As these modelling approaches have been successfully used in
various areas of science, wouldn't you agree that they can also be used to
understand at least some of the fundamental properties of brain structures
and processes?

  -Ivan Raikov

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 8:31 AM, james bower <bower at uthscsa.edu> wrote:

> [snip]

An enormous amount of engineering and neuroscience continues to think that