Connectionists: New paper on using deep sparse distributed representations for event learning and recognition

Rod Rinkus rod.rinkus at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 16:51:30 EST 2014

Dear Connectionists,

I have a new paper
<http://journal.frontiersin.org/Journal/10.3389/fncom.2014.00160/abstract>
"Sparsey^TM: event recognition via deep hierarchical sparse distributed
codes" in Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience, which I think will be of
general interest to this group.  Many existing hierarchical models propose
localist representations in each sub-region of each hierarchical level.  In
contrast, in Sparsey, all sub-regions (macrocolumns) in all of internal
levels use sparse distributed codes, which confers great computational
efficiency, as we argue in the paper.  This animation
<http://www.sparsey.com/index.html> of a memory trace unfolding in a
6-level Sparsey model shows the proposed general correspondence to cortex
(the levels of macs would correspond to V1, V2, etc.).  I look forward to
any questions/feedback from the community.

Sincerely,
Rod Rinkus

--
Gerard (Rod) Rinkus, PhD