Connectionists: Postdoc and research assistant positions, Department of Cognitive & Linguistics Science, Brown University (Providence, RI)

Thomas R.G. Serre serre at mit.edu
Sat Oct 17 17:22:44 EDT 2009

Dear colleagues,

I will be joining the Department of Cognitive & Linguistics Science at Brown
University (Providence, RI) as an Assistant Professor in January 2010 and
will be recruiting a full-time research assistant and a postdoc to start
immediately. I would be grateful if you could please forward the
advertisement below along to anyone you think would be appropriate.

Best regards,

--Thomas Serre

Post-doctorate Associate - MIT - Brain & Cognitive Sciences
Tel: +1 617 253 0548 | GMT -5:00 | http://web.mit.edu/serre/www/

Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Cognitive & Linguistics
Science, Brown University (Providence, RI).

We seek a talented postdoc to work as part of an interdisciplinary team to
study the brain mechanisms underlying the recognition of objects and complex
visual scenes. The goal of the project is to study how categorical decisions
are learned and how objects are represented in the human brain using a
combination of behavioral, imaging and physiological techniques, which are
supported by rigorous computational models. In particular, we will use
detailed quantitative computational models of object recognition to derive
quantitative receptive-fields to characterize the relationship between
visual stimuli and fMRI activity in higher visual areas. Reliable “mind
reading” from fMRI data will be used to validate the underlying
computational models.

The successful candidate must hold a Ph.D. in Psychology, Neuroscience,
Cognitive Science, Computer Science, Engineering, or other related field and
a strong research track record in cognitive neuroscience; prior experience
with machine learning and/or computational neuroscience techniques as well
as fluency in at least one programming language (e.g., Matlab,  Python,
C/C++) would be considered a plus.

Expected start date:  January 2010. Review of applications will continue
until the position is filled. Interested applicants should apply
electronically to Thomas Serre at tserre at gmail.com with a subject line
containing “Application for postdoc position | fMRI”. Applicants should
include a list of publications, a Curriculum Vitae and the names of three
references in their electronic application (no letters required at this
stage). I will be attending the Society for Neuroscience meeting in Chicago.
Potential candidates are encouraged to contact me tserre at gmail.com to
arrange a meeting.

Our lab webpage is still under construction but general information about my
research interests can be found at http://web.mit.edu/serre/www. The lab
will be part of the newly formed Department of Cognitive, Linguistic &
Psychological Sciences (“CLiPS”) dedicated to the multidisciplinary study of
the mind, brain, behavior, and language, which will be housed (together with
 the Brown Institute for Brain Science) in a new 40,000+ sq ft building.

************
Full-time Research Assistant, Department of Cognitive & Linguistics Science,
Brown University (Providence, RI).

We seek a talented research assistant to work as part of an
interdisciplinary team to study the brain mechanisms underlying the
recognition of objects and complex visual scenes. The lab typically uses a
combination of behavioral, imaging and physiological techniques, which are
supported by rigorous computational models.  The successful candidate will
assist with all aspects of our lab’s research and in particular: programming
experiments and recruiting participants, collecting and analyzing
experimental data (eye tracking, fMRI, iEEG and monkey electrophysiology) as
well as providing miscellaneous research support.

The successful candidate must hold a bachelor’s degree in Psychology,
Cognitive Science, Neuroscience,  Computer Science, Engineering, Math, or
other related field. The candidate is also expected  to be proficient in at
least one programming language (e.g., Matlab,  Python, C/C++). This position
is ideal for candidates who are planning to attend graduate school and want
additional research experience.

Expected start date: January 2010. Review of applications will continue
until the position is filled. Interested applicants should apply
electronically to Thomas Serre at tserre at gmail.com with a subject line
containing “Application for research assistant position | fMRI”. Applicants
should include a list of publications, a Curriculum Vitae and the names of
two references in their electronic application (no letters required at this