Connectionists: PostDoc Position: Learning to Grasp with Motor Primitives

Jan Peters mail at jan-peters.net
Thu Oct 15 09:35:40 EDT 2009

We are searching for a PostDoc at the Robot Learning Lab of the
Department of Empirical Inference, at the Max Planck Institute for
Biological Cybernetics, Tübingen, Germany.

If you or one of your students is graduating within the next five-six
month and is searching for a position that involves robot grasping,
application of machine learning in robotics and motor primitive
learning, then please contact Jan Peters (mail at jan-peters.net)
informally by email!

For more information on the institute see http://www.kyb.tuebingen.mpg.de
and on our past projects in robot learning see http://www.robot-learning.de
or http://www.jan-peters.net

Best wishes,
Jan Peters

PostDoc Position
=============

The Department of Empirical Inference, headed by Bernhard Schölkopf,
at the Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics, Tübingen,
Germany, intends to fill an open Post-Doc position in the EU Project
GeRT.

Applications are encouraged in area of robot learning. We are looking
for persons with a strong background in one or several of the
following areas:

* robot grasping
* application of machine learning in robotics
* motor primitive learning

The Post-Doc will work on the EU Project GeRT in the robot learning
group headed by Jan Peters for a duration
of up to 3 years. Latest date for application submission is January
15th.

Applicants should hold a PhD in computer science, engineering or
related fields and have an outstanding publication record at the
relevant conferences (e.g., ICRA, IROS, R:SS, NIPS) and journals
(e.g., IJRR, IEEE TRO, Autonomous Robots, JMLR, Machine Learning). We
are looking for highly motivated and creative individuals who enjoy
collaborating in a team of researchers with various cultural and
scientific backgrounds. Applicants should be capable of conducting
independent research, willing to (co-)supervise PhD students, and
contribute to the success of our group as a whole.
The working language in our group is English.

The Department for Empirical Inference is a young and energetic
machine learning group. The Max Planck Institute for Biological
Cybernetics provides an excellent research environment in all respects.
The robot learning lab is present both in the core robotics and in the
machine learning community.

Applications should include a statement of research experience and
interests, a CV, and contact details of at least two referees. Please
send your applications in electronic form to sabrina.nielebock at tuebingen.mpg.de
.

The Max Planck Society is an equal opportunity employer and is
committed to employing more handicapped individuals and especially
encourages them to apply. The Max Planck Society wishes to increase
the share of women in areas in which they are underrepresented. Women
are strongly invited to apply.