Connectionists: Postdoctoral Fellow: Neural Mechanisms Of Perceptual Learning In Awake Primates

Philipp Berens phb1 at gmx.de
Wed Dec 2 20:08:12 EST 2009

On behalf of Andreas Tolias, I forward this job offer:

In the lab of Andreas Tolias, one position at the level of postdoctoral fellow is available to study the neuronal mechanisms that underlie perceptual learning.

To study the re-organization of cortical circuits in the visual system we employ methods that allow us to analyze the properties of network of neurons in vivo during behavior. Specifically, we use chronic arrays of tetrodes and multielectrode arrays combined with psychophysical and computational methods. We have developed the capability to record from the same individual neurons across multiple days in awake, behaving primates. This gives us the unique opportunity to study how circuits reorganize in vivo during learning.

The postdoctoral fellow will use and further advance these technologies to record from interconnected neural circuits during perceptual learning in awake primates. He/She will also have the opportunity to explore how to manipulate perceptual learning using microstimulation or novel molecular and optical tools. Ideally, the candidate has a strong background in systems neuroscience, prior experience with circuit level electrophysiology in awake animals and strong analytic and quantitative skills.

Baylor College of Medicine is an equal opportunity employer.

Send inquiries and applications to:
Andreas Tolias, Ph.D
Assistant Professor
Department of Neuroscience