Connectionists: Gyorgy Buzsaki elected author/curator of "Hippocampus" in Scholarpedia

Eugene M. Izhikevich Eugene.Izhikevich at nsi.edu
Mon Feb 5 03:44:23 EST 2007

The election of authors for the article "Hippocampus" in the
Encyclopedia of Computational Neuroscience is completed. The letter
below was sent to Gyorgy Buzsaki from Rutgers University. If Dr. Buzsaki
accepts the invitation, he will be the first elected author/curator of
Scholarpedia.

--

Dear Dr. Gyorgy Buzsaki,

As you might know, Scholarpedia, the free peer-reviewed encyclopedia,
conducted election of authors for the article "Hippocampus" with the
goal to identify the best living expert to invite to write such an
article. The nominees (in the order of nomination) were
1. Gyorgy Buzsaki
2. Bruce McNaughton
3. Lynn Nadel
4. David Redish
5. Douglas A. Nitz
6. Richard G. M. Morris
7. Menno P. Witter
As the editor-in-chief, it is my great privilege to let you know that
you were elected to write this article for Scholarpedia
(http://www.scholarpedia.org).

The election started on 3 May 2006 and ended on 5 February 2007,
engaging 103 participants. Rules of the election are described in
http://scholarpedia.org/article/Scholarpedia:Election
In summary, each participant can vote for no more than 3 candidates.
Each vote is multiplied by the participant's Scholar Index, which
reflects the expertise and usefulness of contributions of that person to
Scholarpedia. (So that experts have greater weight in the election).
Then, the weighted sum of the votes and a soft-max procedure is used to
select the future author of the article.

I am sending you a short explanation of this project and the
instructions to reserve the article in a separate letter. Please, let me
know whether you could write this article withing a reasonable period of
time.

Sincerely yours,
Eugene M. Izhikevich – Editor-in-Chief of Scholarpedia, the free
peer-reviewed encyclopedia.

The Neurosciences Institute,   Eugene.Izhikevich at nsi.edu
10640 John J. Hopkins Drive           tel:(858) 626-2063
San Diego, CA, 92121,   USA           fax:(858) 626-2099