Connectionists: New paper on adaptive frequency oscillators

Ludovic Righetti ludovic.righetti at a3.epfl.ch
Wed May 31 09:06:18 EDT 2006

Dear Connectionist,

Researchers in dynamical systems and especially in nonlinear oscillators
might be interested in the following paper published in Physica D about
adaptive frequency oscillators, i.e. nonlinear oscillators that can
adapt to the frequency of any periodic signal.

L. Righetti, J. Buchli, and A.J. Ijspeert.
Dynamic Hebbian learning in adaptive frequency oscillators.
Physica D, 216(2):269-281, 2006.

http://birg2.epfl.ch/publications/fulltext/righetti06b.pdf

Abstract:

Nonlinear oscillators are widely used in biology, physics and
engineering for modeling and control. They are interesting because of
their synchronization properties when coupled to other dynamical
systems. In this paper, we propose a learning rule for oscillators which
adapts their frequency to the frequency of any periodic or
pseudo-periodic input signal. Learning is done in a dynamic way: it is
part of the dynamical system and not an offline process. An interesting
property of our model is that it is easily generalizable to a large
class of oscillators, from phase oscillators to relaxation oscillators
and strange attractors with a generic learning rule. One major feature
of our learning rule is that the oscillators constructed can adapt their
frequency without any signal processing or the need to specify a time
window or similar free parameters. All the processing is embedded in the
dynamics of the adaptive oscillator. The convergence of the learning is
proved for the Hopf oscillator, then numerical experiments are carried
out to explore the learning capabilities of the system. Finally, we
generalize the learning rule to non-harmonic oscillators like relaxation
oscillators and strange attractors.

More papers can be found on http://birg.epfl.ch

Best regards,

Ludovic Righetti

Ludovic Righetti
Research Assistant

Biologically Inspired Robotics Group (BIRG)
Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
EPFL - Station 14 - CH1015 Lausanne

Tel: +41 21 693 6620   Fax: +41 21 693 3705