Paper available on "neuron populations in the high conductance state"

Nestor Parga nestor.parga at uam.es
Fri Mar 18 06:39:31 EST 2005

Dear colleagues,

We would like to announce the following paper:

"Membrane potential and response properties of populations of
cortical neurons in the high conductance state"

by:  Ruben Moreno-Bote and Nestor Parga

(Physical Review Letters 94: 088103, March 2005)

A version of this work is available at:

http://www.ft.uam.es/neurociencia/publications.html

Best regards

Nestor Parga

Title:
"Membrane potential and response properties of populations of
cortical neurons in the high conductance state"

Authors:
Ruben Moreno-Bote and Nestor Parga

Abstract:

Because of intense synaptic activity, cortical neurons are in a high
conductance state. We show that this state has important consequences
on the properties of a population of independent model neurons with
conductance-based synapses. Using an adiabaticlike approximation we
study both the membrane potential and the firing probability
distributions across the population. We find that the latter is
bimodal in such a way that at any particular moment some neurons are
inactive while others are active. The population rate and the response
variability are also characterized.

Nestor Parga
Dpto. de Fisica Teorica, C-XI
Universidad Autonoma de Madrid