Paper available:"Orientational minimal redundancy wavelets: ..."

Nestor Parga Carballeda nestor at ftnp.ft.uam.es
Thu Mar 20 12:52:21 EST 2003

Dear colleagues,

We would like to announce the following paper, which will
appear in Vision Research:

"Orientational minimal redundancy wavelets:
from edge detection to perception"

A. Turiel, J.-P. Nadal and N. Parga
Vision Research, 2003

A preprint version of this work is available at:

http://ket.ft.uam.es/~neurociencia/publications.html

Best regards

Nestor Parga

Title:
"Orientational minimal redundancy wavelets: from edge detection to
perception"

Authors:
Antonio Turiel, Jean-Pierre Nadal and Nestor Parga

Abstract:

Natural images are complex but very structured objects and, in spite of
their complexity, the sensory areas in the neocortex of mammals are able
to devise learned strategies to encode them efficiently. How is this goal
achieved? In this paper, we will discuss the multiscaling approach, which
has been recently used to derive a redundancy reducing wavelet basis. This
kind of representation can be statistically learned from the data and is
optimally adapted for image coding; besides, it presents some remarkable
features found in the visual pathway. We will show that the introduction
of oriented wavelets is necessary to provide a complete description, which
stresses the role of the wavelets as edge detectors.

|  Nestor Parga                    |                                |
|                                  | Phone :  (+34) 91-397-4542     |
|  Dpto. de Fisica Teorica, C-XI   | Fax   :  (+34) 91-397-3936     |
|  Universidad Autonoma de Madrid  | E-mail:   nestor at ftnp.ft.uam.es|
|  28049 Madrid, SPAIN             |           parga at delta.ft.uam.es|
|            http://ket.ft.uam.es/~neurociencia/nestor              |