PhD Studentship: Dynamics of pain perception

El-Deredy, Wael W.El-Deredy at livjm.ac.uk
Tue Jun 17 11:56:15 EDT 2003

PhD studentship funded by the Arthritis Research Campaign =A3800,000
programme grant on brain mechanisms of pain perception. The post is
based at Manchester University working with Professor Anthony Jones'
team on functional imaging of pain representation in the brain.
http://www.ipn.at/ipn.asp?BGI. The department received a 5 rating in
the last RAE.

The aims of the signal processing component of the programme are:
1. To develop new analysis methodologies for separating the sensory
discrimination components of pain from the affective (subjective)
components.
2. To integrate data from different neuroimaging modalities (mainly EEG
and PET and EEG and fMRI).

We are looking for an enthusiastic signal processing expert with
interest in biomedical applications and willingness to work within a
team. We expect good foundation in mathematics, statistics and
optimisation techniques (especially Bayesian stats. and MCMC) and
programming skills (Matlab).  The candidate may also be required to
support colleagues carrying out standard statistical analysis of
functional neuroimaging data.

For enquiries and application please write or send a CV to
Anthony Jones (Ajones1 at fs1.ho.man.ac.uk)
including the names of two referees
by 25 July, 2003.

Dr. Anthony Jones
Pain Research Group
Manchester University - Rheumatic Diseases Centre
Clinical Sciences Building
Hope Hospital
Salford   M6 8HD
Tel: 0161 - 206 4265