Lectureship (i.e., Assistant Professorship) - Birmingham, UK

John Bullinaria j.a.bullinaria at cs.bham.ac.uk
Tue Jun 17 12:52:54 EDT 2003

Members of this list are encouraged to apply for the following post.
Excellent opportunities exist to collaborate with members of CERCIA and
the Natural Computation Group, as well as others in the School.

VACANCY: Lectureship
          in Computer Science, Software Engineering or Artificial
Intelligence
(Ref. No. S36578)

Applications are invited for and one limited-term Lectureship in
Computer Science, Software Engineering or Artificial Intelligence in
the School of Computer Science, the University of Birmingham, UK. The
post is available immediately until 31 March 2007 in the first
instance (further extension or conversion to an open-ended post is
possible). We are looking for an outstanding researcher and teacher in
any areas of CS, SE and AI, although candidates in applied areas are
preferred. The post has become available because an existing staff
member has moved temporarily to our new Centre of Excellence for
Research in Computational Intelligence and Applications
(CERCIA). Applications that strengthen our research in computational
intelligence as well as in other areas are equally welcome.

The successful applicants must have an internationally excellent
research record (or research potential, in the case of a recent PhD
graduate) in CS, SE or AI, as evidenced by publications in leading
international journals or conference proceedings in these fields. They
must be willing and able to teaching core CS, SE and AI modules that
may or may not be in his/her research areas. They should have, or
expect soon to have, a PhD in CS, SE, AI or an appropriate, closely
related discipline. Very high quality research publications or
industrial research achievements are acceptable as an alternative to a
PhD. All our staff contribute to the School administration. The School
encourages industrial outreach and consultancy.

This School has been steadily growing in its research achievements and
is widely recognized as an international centre for research and
teaching, as confirmed, for instance, by external research reviews, by
our publications record, our record in attracting research grants, our
ability to attract high quality staff and students from many
countries, and the provision of a new special-purpose building for the
School in 2001.

Further information about our research is accessible through our
research and news web sites
                 http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/
                 http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/news/
and in personal web pages of staff and research students:
                 http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/people/

Further information about our teaching can be found here:
                 http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/study

Starting salary for Lecturers on scale GBP22,191 - GBP33,679 a year
depending on experience and qualifications.

Further particulars including instructions on how to apply, and pointers
to online application forms, can be found at:
http://www.punit.bham.ac.uk/vacancies/
vacancyDisplay.htm?org_unit_code=DNPHYS&vacancy_class_id=2

Please quote reference S36578.

Informal enquiries to: Prof. X. Yao (x.yao at cs.bham.ac.uk)

*** Closing date for applications is : 24/6/2003. ***
However late applicants may be considered.

Working towards equal opportunities.