you're right: let's use Arxiv more (Re: proposal: archival NIPS...)

tbreuel@parc.com tbreuel at parc.com
Fri Dec 20 23:28:00 EST 2002

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 07:17:28PM -0800, Valentin Zhigulin wrote:
> You don't need to create an archive, it was put up long time ago by
> physics community at www.arxiv.org. At some point they even had a
> section on ANN, cognitive science, etc but it was removed, don't know
> the reason. Probably they can restore it easily if the number of
>interested people will be high

You are right: Arxiv is a good choice that is here right now.
I had thought of it as only a Physics resource, but i does
have a computing section.

As far as I can tell, nothing has been removed from it either;
removing papers from Arxiv would seem to defeat its purpose.

The Computing Science part of Arxiv is at:

    http://arxiv.org/archive/cs/intro.html

Browsing the recent submissions, however, suggests that many sections
are underused.

What Arxiv provides is a time stamp for your report, mirroring, and
backup.  You can submit revisions, which will be stamped properly.

So, if you are thinking about posting a technical note on your web page or
creating a non-archival "technical report" at your institution, submit it
to Arxiv.  Then, people can give a URL to it that is likely
to be around.  Of course, for papers that have already been published
in some other archival medium, submitting to Arxiv is less important.

Thomas.

PS: Note that while Citeseer is enormously useful and also retains copies,
it does not primarily function as an archive.