paper: model of orientation learning and adaptation

Ning Qian qian at brahms.cpmc.columbia.edu
Fri Dec 20 16:27:17 EST 2002

Dear colleagues,

The following paper on modeling orientation learning and adaptation is
available at:

http://brahms.cpmc.columbia.edu/publications/learn-adapt.ps.gz

or

http://brahms.cpmc.columbia.edu/publications/learn-adapt.pdf

Best regards and happy holidays,

Ning

Learning and Adaptation in a Recurrent Model of V1 Orientation Selectivity

Andrew F. Teich and Ning Qian, J. Neurophysiol. (in press)

Abstract

Learning and adaptation in the domain of orientation processing are
among the most studied topics in the literature. However, little effort
has been devoted to explaining the diverse array of experimental
findings via a physiologically based model. We have started to address
this issue in the framework of the recurrent model of V1 orientation
selectivity, and found that reported changes in V1 orientation tuning
curves after learning and adaptation can both be explained with the
model. Specifically, the sharpening of orientation tuning curves near
the trained orientation after learning can be accounted for by slightly
reducing net excitatory connections to cells around the trained
orientation, while the broadening and peak shift of the tuning curves
after adaptation can be reproduced by appropriately scaling down both
excitation and inhibition around the adapted orientation. In addition,
we investigated the perceptual consequences of the tuning curve changes
induced by learning and adaptation using signal detection theory. We
found that in the case of learning, the physiological changes can
account for the psychophysical data well. In the case of adaptation,
however, there is a clear discrepancy between the psychophysical data
from alert human subjects and the physiological data from anesthetized
animals. Instead, human adaptation studies can be better accounted for
by the learning data from behaving animals. Our work suggests that
adaptation in behaving subjects may be viewed as a short-term form of
learning.

--
Ning Qian, Ph. D.
Associate Professor