NIPS & double blind reviewing

Shlomo Geva s.geva at qut.edu.au
Tue Dec 17 20:43:21 EST 2002

At 11:30  17/12/02 -0800, John Lazzaro wrote:

> > Neil Lawrence <neil at dcs.shef.ac.uk> writes:
> >
> > If there is a strong counter argument to the implementation of these
> > procedures I would like to hear it.
>
>Well, I get asked to do implementation reviews for NIPS from time to
>time. Let's say I get a double-blind paper for organic transistor
>implementations of neural networks. And I look at the data and the
>text, and it seems high quality, so I give it a high score.
>
>The paper gets in, the double-blind is removed, and I find out Jan
>Hendrik Schon wrote the paper:
>
>http://www.nature.com/nsu/020923/020923-9.html
>
>Do I need to say more?

Sure.
    * Did the above-mentioned physicist get through a double-blind review
loophole - I think not!
    * There is the case of William McBride who discovered the link between
Thalidomide and its genetic effects :
http://www.abc.net.au/austory/transcripts/s248519.htm.        Again,
ordinary review processes did not uncover the problem.  Did eminence and
fame let a publication in through the eminence and fame review
loophole?  Did eminence and fame make it more tempting to engage in less
than perfect research practices?
Regards,

Shlomo

Shlomo Geva, PhD
Centre for Information Technology Innovation
QUT, Australia