neural binding

DeLiang Wang dwang at cis.ohio-state.edu
Wed Aug 7 10:01:04 EDT 2002

Jerome Feldman wrote:

> He starts with the simple sentence:
>
>         The big star's beside a little star.
>
> and asks how neural computation could model the two different stars without
> cross talk.

A lot of work has been done in recent years using oscillator networks and
temporal coding.  The problem as stated above doesn't exist anymore
for neural computation, I think, though how the brain solves
the problem is another matter (Journal Neuron has a special issue
on the neural binding problem in vol. 24, No. 1, 1999).

For a short story on this see Wang: "On connectedness: a solution
based on oscillatory correlation," Neural Computation, vol. 12, 131-139, 2000.

Regards,

DeLiang Wang
Prof. DeLiang Wang
The Ohio State University
2015 Neil Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210-1277, U.S.A.

Email: dwang at cis.ohio-state.edu
Phone: 614-292-6827 (OFFICE); 614-292-7402 (LAB)
Fax: 614-292-2911