neural binding

stephen j. hanson jose at psychology.rutgers.edu
Tue Aug 6 16:02:39 EDT 2002

We recently published a paper in Neural Computation on a related kind of
binding problem:

In our case we were able to show transfer to NOVEL vocabularies (fixing
DFAs) after training on other vocabularies using the same grammar.
In effect the RNN learns to factor the vocabulary from the grammar and
then quickly recruit new vocabularies that merely have syntactic
similarity to already learned vocabularies.

Examination of the hidden space indicates the RNN learns a type of
"spatial metaphor" to recruit the unseen vocabulary in nearby parts of
state (DFA)space. The network creates a hierarchical state structure
that allows arbitrary and unique binding of new instances.

Similarly for decades Pinker and others have maintained that this sort
of transfer was impossible for "associationist" networks.

Cheers,

Steve

"On the Emergence of Rules in Neural Networks"
Stephen Jose Hanson and Michiro Negishi

Neural Computation - Contents - Volume 14, Number 9 - September 1, 2002